Swelling face and eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Auralyte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Help! I'm a new diver and I'm going to Bonaire in a few days. I'll be making 12 boat dives (if I live through each previous dive!!!) and during my OW, my face and eyes swelled up so much I looked like a puffer fish!
Any hints as to how to avoid or mitigate the swelling?
Chris

Help! I'm a new diver and I'm going to Bonaire in a few days. I'll be making 12 boat dives (if I live through each previous dive!!!) and during my OW, my face and eyes swelled up so much I looked like a puffer fish!
Chris
could your mask have been too tight? i notice that happens when i forget to adjust my strap when i dive with a hood.

A couple things spring to my mind, were you equalizing your mask properly? Could you have an allergy to the material used to make your mask skirt? Without knowing the cause it's hard to say what you might do to avoid it!

Rachel

Hi Auralyte,

Unless this swelling is accompanied by a rash/redness/itching, it is very unlikely to be the result of an allergic reaction to the materials in your mask skirt.

A much more probable explanation is improper equalization of the mask, especially upon descent. As such, you might find the following informative:

If diving, be alert to the possibility of mask squeeze:

Mask Squeeze
DAN Divers Alert Network

And remember, it can always be worse----> British Sub-Aqua Club Photo
http://www.bsac14.org.uk/photo/masksq2w.jpg

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Chris

Yup, it's hard to be specific without more information and an in-person examination. But mask squeeze or contact allergy might be good places to start looking. I assume that you never had anything like this before... As DocVikingo said, the presence or absence of a rash would help make the diagnosis, and squeeze sounds like a likely culprit.

I don't have much to add to his comment, except to say that you shouldn't miss the shore diving in Bonaire! The last time I went, I did 20 dives in a week and only one on a boat...

Good luck!

Mike

To all -
Thank you for your suggestions. ANd I LOVED the picture of the righteous mask hickie! Wow! May I get one like that some day!
I think part of the problem is the salt - is there anything to relieve the cracked lips and swollen eyes and redness besides time? Probably not - I'll use PSF chap stick and wash my eyes - it's rough being an older diver / newbie!
And I'll try some shore dives - staying at the Plaza Bonaire so it's a walk out to a pretty good reef, but I'm the seminar coordinator, so I have to go out on those 12 boat dives (and get paid for it). It's a dirty job...
Thanks again, all!
Chris

Couple of things you can try, Chris.

Use a high SPF sunblock any time you're out diving; also apply a product like Badger SPF 15 Lip Balm (Badger SPF 15 Lip Balm) to the lips and around the eyes; rinse your head, face and mask well with fresh water immediately following each dive; after you shower at the end of the diving day use a good quality moisturizer on the face.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom