Sweet deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So in the wake of the recent economic ridiculousness the last thing I expected myself to be doing yesterday was buying a scuba tank, but I couldn't pass this deal up. Maybe it'll work for the rest of you.

First, check your eBay account to see if you have their 10% off, Fall Promo coupon. If you do, you're golden. If you don't, you're still in good shape but less so.

Next, go to Live Search and search for something like "wii" or "ps3" or pretty much anything that's obviously a shopping search. In the gray box at the top you'll see a link to eBay that says "You may get XX% off with PayPal if eligible." Yesterday that said 30%. This morning (for me) it's 25%. Different searches sometimes yield different percentages and it changes over time. Play around with it. (No, this is not a scam. Live.com is Microsoft. They're the ones giving you the money back.)

When you find a percentage that's compelling, click that link. You'll now have a little badge at the top of your page saying you can save that % on an item you buy through eBay, using PayPal. It doesn't have to be what you searched for on Live.com though.

You have to buy within 60 minutes of clicking the link, and you have to buy a Buy-It-Now item (not Best Offer) using PayPal, but it DOES compound with the eBay coupon. Therefore, if you get a 30% off link from Live.com, you end up saving 40% with the coupon if you have it.

So yesterday I bought an HP119 tank. From Dolphin Scuba (High Pressure Steel 119 3442psi Scuba Tank - eBay (item 260154506906 end time Nov-20-08 15:40:20 PST)) which is actually one of my local scuba shops. Here's the math:

Buy-It-Now Price $379.98
Tax & Shipping $47.99
===================
Normal Total Price $427.97

eBay Coupon -$38.00
Live.com Cashback -$113.99
===================
Actual Cost to Me $275.98

So if you're in the market for something pricey and you see that 10% eBay coupon when you log in, it's worth checking out. Pretty sweet deal.

Back
Top Bottom