Swatch SCUBA - any info around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paschen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi y'all

I am thinking about getting a Swatch SCUBA - sorry but I can't find a link to the one I am wanting.

It has depth and dive time as well as being a regular watch.

Has anyone had one or heard good or bad things on it? I was going to get a real dive watch, but all the ones I have seen look too expensive (not price but literally).

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Pas

A quick Google search returned a few...

http://www.sell.com/2HJMR
http://www.bidshot.com/?page=viewitem&adid=126750

I gotta say, I don't see any depth functions for either watch...

The first watch in the list is "water resistant" to 200 meters. What *exactly* is the difference between "water resistant" and "water proof"?

http://www.swatch-shop.co.uk/rosewater.htm

that is the one I saw while out watch browsing.
If you look on the inner right of the watch face I think that is supposed to be the depth, and the inner left is the dive time.

I can't believe that they would make a watch with dive functions, call is SCUBA then say it is not a dive watch. Weird.

Thanks for finding that - I am not a google girl so missed the link. Thanks muchly.

Oh yeah - Everything these days is water resistant rather than waterproof - something to do with liabilities or other.

I think those are just marking, since I do not see another hand or moving bezel.....more of a fashion watch then anything.

BUT if you want a nice little dive watch that is not too flashy and "rich" looking, look at the St. Moritz line

www.st-moritz.com

I was also looking at the Swatch Fun SCUBA watch. It does in fact show depth and elapsed time. Here's the description I found:

The Fun Scuba is the first Swatch with an Automatic Depthmeter, which is automatically activated when the watch is one meter below the surface of the water. The hour hand displays the depth, down to a maximum of 40 meters, the minute hand shows the dive time to a maximum of 90 minutes. Information about your dive can be stored and viewed later. The Fun Scuba is water-resistant to 200 meters. Once out of the water, the Fun Scuba automatically switches to regular time, just like any other watch.

I question the accuracy, but still think it's kinda neat anyway. I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on eBay. Oh, and as an FYI -it's a little big to be worn daily as a regular watch.

Hmmm - now I want one again.

I have teeny wrists - so it might double as a bracelet!!!

No one in Aus Ebay has for sale - and by the time I buy from OS it is the same of more expensive. /sniff

I was thinking pink - but now I am heading towards this one http://store.yahoo.com/legendsinc/reefjumper.html

Hi,

I picked up a pair of Swatch SCUBA Fun Watches for the wife and myself last Christmas.

They worked just fine, and in fact saved one dive excursion when the computers failed (flooded after battery servicing prior to trip ... very odd, since they were tested in the shop pressure tank after servicing, then by us in a pool equipment checkout splash party, but that's another thread ...). Depth and bottom timer functions worked servicably well to do the two dives on that boat run with tables (which we consulted prior to the first giant stride, and which discipline paid off that day!).

Swatch says they are not SCUBA instruments because if they were sold as SCUBA instruments, then that may increase their liabilty exposure. Not to mention they are almost certainly not built and tested to the standards one might wish to have for equipment one stakes one's life on. They do advise not pusing the button underwater so as not to increase risk of flooding, for example.

They will replay your last dive (running the hands at fast forward through the time and depth profile), and you can save one dive in persistent memory in addition (sort of a souvenir). In that sense, unless your dive computer can replay the dive profile itself (i.e., without uploading data to a PC; our Suunto Mosquitos can do this, but our original cannot), then it's useful for an immediate playback of the profile.

They are kinda cool and probably fine as a cheap backup instrument for simple recreational diving, my opinion FWIW. We have tended to carry them less now that we have two computers each (the original, which was replaced without question by the manufacturer; and the replacement we rented then bought on the trip), though I will still pop it into the luggage for a long trip just to have yet another line of defence in the old save-a-dive bag.

Cheers,
W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom