Swapping HP hoses myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A new diver...9 dives total to date. I want to swap a standard SPG for my AI computer. Is it as simple as unscrewing the hose from the first stage and screwing in the computer hose? Any thing I should be worried/concerned/cautious about when doing this?

I'm comfortable working on things myself and have decent collection of 'normal' tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc), but nothing 'scuba' specific. Eventually I'd like to get to the point of being able to service all my own gear...so that I know it better and am more confident in it (not that I distrust my LDS, but if I understand it inside and out, I'll be more comfortable using it and in a situation if it were to fail).

I want to swap a standard SPG for my AI computer. Is it as simple as unscrewing the hose from the first stage and screwing in the computer hose?
Yes.
Any thing I should be worried/concerned/cautious about when doing this?
Remove the standard SPG. Loosen with wrench, then unscrew by hand. (It shouldn't take much force at all to get it started.)
Make sure that there's the appropriate sized o-ring on the end of the computer hose screwed into the first stage...and that the o-ring and threading is free of debris.
Screw it into the vacant high pressure port by hand.
Snug it up just a little with a wrench.

A careful person would then test that there aren't any leaks at that junction.

Welcome to the sport and enjoy your computer!

A new diver...9 dives total to date. I want to swap a standard SPG for my AI computer. Is it as simple as unscrewing the hose from the first stage and screwing in the computer hose? Any thing I should be worried/concerned/cautious about when doing this?

The typical regulator body is brass. If you overtighten the hose you can easily strip or split it. The hose to body interface is an o-ring seal; it doesn't need to be very tight to seal properly. Hand tighten and then bump it very slightly with a wrench only to the point where it won't hand-loosten. Attach to a cylinder and leak test. If it leaks, DO NOT tighten further, that isn't your problem. Clean the parts and replace the o-ring with a new -012 and try again.

The same advice applies to the low-pressure hoses at the regulator end (except the o-ring is a -011).

Ken

Use a backup wrench:

If you're just moving a hose from one port to another (low pressure to low pressure, high pressure to high pressure) and leaving the other end as is, it’s a simple matter.

However, if you're completely changing out a hose or removing the SPG or a second stage, a bit more caution is called for. NEVER just un-torque and re-torque a hose end to a plastic second stage or plastic SPG without using two wrenches (one is called the backup wrench) ALWAYS hold the second stage or SPG fitting securely with one wrench and then loosen the hose with the other. If you don't, you could very easily crack the housing of the unit you're working on.

Here is a link to a page at ScubaToys where Joe & Larry give step by step instructions on replacing an SPG spool. Note the use of a backup wrench. The same technique can be used to replace a second stage. High Pressure Spool on Scuba Gauge Leaking

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom