Suunto Vyper weirdness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well yeah, its the Vyper 2.. newer model.. that's what changed in 7 years, which is what you asked.
Vyper 2 is discontinued, but Suunto still sells the Vyper. Go figure?!

Vyper 2 is discontinued, but Suunto still sells the Vyper. Go figure?!

Thought the Vyper was history.. the zoop does the same thing now, and the vyper2/vyper air filled the next niche up.. Bizarre!

The Vyper is still available the as well as the Vyper Air which has the new menu system as well as updated features.

Geoff,

Yes, the Vyper is still currently being manufactured. The Vyper 2 was discontinued and replaced with the Vyper Air. The Vyper Air is purchased as a wrist unit because of the wireless transmitter capability, but it is possible to remove the wrist strap and place the Vyper Air into your console. The Zoop will also fit inside of your console. The Zoop is the model that has replaced the Gekko. The Zoop does not have a backlight which is the only difference in functionality from the Vyper that you currently have, also the Zoop retails about $125 less than the standard Vyper. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards & Safe Diving,
Chris from Suunto

---------- Post Merged at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Geoff,

The Vyper Air is an upgraded model of the Vyper 2. The Vyper Air has wireless transmitter capability, and now the compass is tilt-compensated, which is why Suunto no longer manufactures the Vyper 2. The original Vyper is still in the product lineup for multiple reasons & purposes. The same applies for the original Cobra still being manufactured, even though there has been the Cobra 2 which was phased out
by the Cobra 3.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

My LDS was able to order a replacement Vyper module - no wrist straps, extra plastic face, manuals, or anything else; just the little Vyper puck in a flimsy cardboard box. Works just like my old one before it went kaput, except the face isn't all scratched up :) It works fine for what I need, although I've started eyeing the Atomic Cobalt for the next time one of our Vypers craps out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom