Suunto Stinger Plastic Guard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viceroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've just purchased a Suunto Stinger and I'd like to know if there is anywhere I can get a Guard for it as I'd hate to scratch the thing while diving

Thanks

I have a Suunto Spyder and a few months ago when I was buying some odds and ends from Leisure Pro I noticed that they carried a watch guard. The manufacturer is Cetacea and the part number from Cetacea is WG002. Whatever dive shop you deal with should be able to get one. It was something like $3.95. The only downside is that if you wanted to push any buttons with 5mm gloves on it would be difficult. I can't say that I have needed to push any buttons on mine underwater so it hasn't been a problem. Also, one of the best things that I think that I have done with my Spyder is to replace the band with a one-piece velcro band. It would bum me to no end to watch it head into the abyss if one of the pins gave out.

JoelW

OK, guys, here's the REAL DEAL,

The best watch band by far comes from "Waterborne", from our friends down-under. It is a heavy nylon band that comes in either 3/4" or 1". The trick thing about this is that if one of the pins on your watch breaks it is still held on your wrist by another loop. Band will fit all wrist sizes from the largest to the smallest, will fit over wetsuits and drysuits and back to your bare wrist. You don't have to cut it either for the smaller wrists.

Not all dive shops carry them so you will probably have to ask or maybe some of our friends down-under can get them for us.

ID

Although I am a newbie, if anyone wants some info then I should be able to find out.
I will ask at my dive shop next week and let you know.
If they have a flier then I can scan it for anyone that is interested. I must admit, I have never heard of them but I am a newbie, leave it with me for a week or so.

Mick

Viceroy, instead of a guard, why not use protective film? I use Tiger Skin from Tiger Gear...http://www.tigergear.com/. It's very easy to install, adhere's very well and lasts a long time. I just had my dive watch repaired and had to replace the film on the new crystal. The old one had about 200 dives on it. I also use the Tiger Skin on my computer face.

I prefer the film to gauges because a lick against just the right rock can still scratch your face. And the plastic covers, the ones that have those little red dots for 'feet', allow silt and fine sand behind it.

The Tiger Skin is one large piece, about 6"x6" for about $5.95 in my local dive shop.

HTH

According to their site, Cetacea carries the Waterborne watch bands. I would assume that they can be ordered by any shop. If not, I have come across a few shops that sell them on the internet for about $16.00. A search will find them. Here is one:

http://www.uwsafaris.com/page50.html

The Wrist Wrap one piece velcro band also goes through both pins and is velcroed between so that if one pin goes the other still pin is still connected to the strap and can't fall off. This one will also fit all sizes. The Cetacea gaurd has two loops that the band goes through to keep the guard on the strap. They would also prevent the watch from heading south.

JoelW

....and em extremely happy with it. It's also long enough to go over a 7mil wetsuit. No buckles to fuss with in gloves, just sticky velcro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom