Suunto SK7 vs Oceanic SWIV Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yurmaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I'm about to buy me a compass.
I know that SK7 has a good reputation but it's pricey where as oceanic is 40% cheaper and also have good reviews on leisurepro. SK7=75$ vs Oceanic=45$

What is a preferable option?
Is SK7 worth additional 30$ and why?
Or on the other hand will Oceanic compass do just fine for a lower price?

With my novice (at best) navigation skills, I can manage to find my way just fine with the SWIV. I've never tried an SK7 so I have nothing for comparison.

I had the same question about SK7 vs Oceanic.

Are you going to use the DSS mount?

I don't see a $45 Oceanic (northern hemisphere) on LP, just the $53 model.

Wonder if the $35 Genesis compass would fit the DSS mount. Genesis Compass Module

From the link you posted, the price is only $10 less than for the SK7, not $30.

In addition, if you do decide to go with the SK7, really do consider getting the dss mount (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47). Not only does it give the compass a lower profile on your wrist, but it also compensates for loss of wetsuit thickness at depth since it is secured using bungie cord. This prevents the compass from becoming loose if you go deeper.

I find the SK7 to be MUCH easier to use, much more forgiving than the regular compasses. The SK7's well is deeper & allows more of a pitch (almost 45 degrees) when holding it whilst not locking up against the glass, whereas most other compasses must be held nearly level or the disc will hit the glass & lock up, thus giving a false reading.

Both are great, I like the Suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom