suunto online dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks ynot.
so divetank.net is about the ONLY american online seller of the suuntos?
sheeesh.

Well, I just emailed them since they're prices aren't online (wierd).
We'll see how they compare to the others.
I'll post here.

yknot:
Practices that companies like Aqualung engage in are illegal (price fixing, warranty law violations, etc) but aren't going to change unless enough people complain.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

"Price fixing" is where competing companies conspire to fix the prices of similar products, so that there is no real competition at the consumer level. A company certainly has a right to "fix" the price at which its product is sold. If it is unreasonable, then market pressure will force a correction. As long as people buy their product in sufficient quantities, there is no reason for the company to change its policy. Apparently, Suunto is making enough money with this policy in place. It's unfortunate for us, because we have grown used to being able to find a good bargain on most anything we want to buy. Well, it won't always be the case.

As I see it, we have three choices:
1) Buy it from our LDS at, or near, full price (with full mfg warranty),
2) Buy it cheaper from a gray market seller (without mfg warranty), or
3) Buy something else.

Happy hunting!

Not to get off subject, but I am going to anyway.

Price fixing (setting prices above market equilibrium) is illegal (antitrust violation) only if the company (or several companies engaging in colusion) have market power. Market power means that the company or companies control enough of the market that they can control competition. For a single company, think of entities like Microsoft, for multiple companies, think of the vitamin price fixing conspiracy that took place several years ago or the recent case against the record industry/CD retailers. Thus, for it to be illegal there must be both market power and an affirmative attempt to set prices above the market.

I agree with the posters who feel that refusing online sales is wrong, but the great part is we don't have to buy from those companies! If enough people stop buying from Suunto and Uwatec (to name a few) they will change their business practices. In the end though, I highly doubt that Suunto has enough control over the market to be accused of price fixing.

Myself, I am trying to decide between an Aeris Atmos II (wrist) or Cresi Sub Archimedes. Both are available online and with a warranty. If I had an LDS, I might consider paying more to support them, but I live in the desert and the nearest shop is over 100 miles away, so the internet it my only viable option.

widebody50:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

"Price fixing" is where competing companies conspire to fix the prices of similar products, so that there is no real competition at the consumer level. A company certainly has a right to "fix" the price at which its product is sold. If it is unreasonable, then market pressure will force a correction. As long as people buy their product in sufficient quantities, there is no reason for the company to change its policy. Apparently, Suunto is making enough money with this policy in place. It's unfortunate for us, because we have grown used to being able to find a good bargain on most anything we want to buy. Well, it won't always be the case.

As I see it, we have three choices:
1) Buy it from our LDS at, or near, full price (with full mfg warranty),
2) Buy it cheaper from a gray market seller (without mfg warranty), or
3) Buy something else.

Happy hunting!

Since you asked to be corrected: http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17334_17362_20942-44650--,00.html

This link (Michigan Attorney General) will explain the price fixing issue a little more.

There is also a bit of info available thru the FTC. Basically, the government frowns on any type of restrictions as to how and where goods are sold and advertised when the end result is really to restrict access to a product, thereby limiting competition. That's really all scuba gear manufacturers are doing. If they were really interested in a consistant presentation of their goods, say by an authorized LDS, then wouldn't they have some minimum standards as to all of that? If the average diver isn't capable of maintaining his own gear, shouldn't we have some sort of government certification for repairs and repair facilities, like civil aviation? LDS' keep crying that this is "life support equipment".

RHMC66:
Not to get off subject, but I am going to anyway.

Price fixing (setting prices above market equilibrium) is illegal (antitrust violation) only if the company (or several companies engaging in colusion) have market power. Market power means that the company or companies control enough of the market that they can control competition. For a single company, think of entities like Microsoft, for multiple companies, think of the vitamin price fixing conspiracy that took place several years ago or the recent case against the record industry/CD retailers. Thus, for it to be illegal there must be both market power and an affirmative attempt to set prices above the market.

Note: I am not an attorney-I just play one on scubaboard

However, do a search on the FTC's web site for "Nine West". They weren't, AFAIK, in any kind of control of "market power". Rather than waiting for the market to dictate terms to a company like ScubaPro, do you think a multi-million dollar federal case would have an effect? Do you think that the smaller gear manufacturer's would continue to hold firm if Aqualung gets burned? The unfortunate part is that it's not the manufacturers who lose business- they sell a product no matter where you finally get it from.

well, I appreciate you guys hijacking this thread and all.
But I've got the answer now.
Divetank.net, who doesn't post their prices on their website, said their prices vary by quantity purchased and if you represent a gov't agency and such.
But generally, their Gekko is $265 and their Mosquito Pro Kit is $399.
The "pro kits" consist of a hard storage case, an extra battery, and the software/cables for PC interface.

I asked if he could/would match the $222.50 price for the Gekko or the $311 for the mosquito at Sportextreme.com and he pointed out that they're not including the "pro kit", but that no, he wouldn't be able to match it at that price.
However, he might have a little room to deal.

He has free shipping included, and if you need to make a return for service, they have several locations across the US where you can ship the computer and they'll handle servicing it or sending it overseas or whatever. As their website states, if there's going to be a lengthy delay, they'll give you a loaner in the meantime.

So now the question is.. has anyone bought from Sportextreme or Divetank who can vouch for their service?

cra2:
thanks ynot.
so divetank.net is about the ONLY american online seller of the suuntos?
sheeesh.

Well, I just emailed them since they're prices aren't online (wierd).
We'll see how they compare to the others.
I'll post here.

cra2:
Are there any online dealers that carry Suunto computers with full manufacturer's warranty?

thanks

No there are not. SUUNTO does not permit its products to be sold by authorized dealers online.

pasley:
No there are not. SUUNTO does not permit its products to be sold by authorized dealers online.

Not entirely true. Suunto allows their "wrist computers", such as used by hikers, to be sold online in the US with warranties. Suunto's US web site even contains links to a dozen of these companies. I found one company that claims to be an authorized dealer that was offering Suunto Stingers online with a warranty. The restriction for Suunto products seems to only apply to dive computers as distributed in the US by Aqualung.

yknot:
The restriction for Suunto products seems to only apply to dive computers as distributed in the US by Aqualung.

this discussion IS about DIVE computers.. lol.

cra2:
this discussion IS about DIVE computers.. lol.
Actually I was refuting a previous post which list "Suunto" and not "Suunto dive computers". The reason is that it isn't 'Suunto' who is directly limiting access but Aqualung, as the distributor, although Suunto does deserve some blame for allowing this on one of their products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom