suunto mosquito battery replacement question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

My question/dilemma is: I'm having a hard time finding the o-ring for the battery cover for my Suunto Mosquito. I got the battery at radio shack, figured I'd pick up an o-ring somewhere (dive shop, Ace hardware, etc), but can't find one the right guage. I can find the right diameter, but the rubber is slightly thicker. Is this going work? Or maybe the rubber just seems thicker because the old o-ring's been compressed. And, last but not least, should I just use my old o-ring that has been slightly flattened but is otherwise in good shape. I need to get this right, or I lose a dive computer! Maybe I should have just sprung for the replacement kit from Suunto instead of trying to save a buck...

Cheers, Billfish

I have replaced the battery in mine once. I didn't replace either the back or the o-ring as suunto suggests. The next time around I will probably do both.

No problems.

TwoBit

Here's a case of do as I say not do as I do... I think the kit retails for $15.00. Hopefully you will only need to open your mosquito once per year. Buy the kit.

I did write Suunto and asked for the specs for the o-ring. They answered - buy the kit.

If you're careful, you can reuse the o-ring and the cover. I'll probably get the kit for my 2nd change, but the first one was fine.
-Rob

rab:
If you're careful, you can reuse the o-ring and the cover. I'll probably get the kit for my 2nd change, but the first one was fine.
-Rob
I re-used the cover and O-ring twice - very carefully. No problems. For the third change, I got the kit.

This thread comes at a good time, I have had my Mosquito for almost a year, and have the replacement battery, but no 'O' ring. What problems might occur while replacing it? I guess basically putting it back the way you found it sounds right, just wondering what other things should I look out for?
Who sells the replacement Kit, does Leisure Pro?

Question: On average, how long does a battery last in the Mosquito? A year, two. Is the battery change recommended or does the computer tell you battery power is low?
$15 once a year doesn't seem like too much of a hardship.

My dive shop sold me a packet with battery, o-ring, and cover for $10. Why skip replacing the cover and O-ring? Doesn't make sense to ruin a $300 computer for $10.

My first battery lasted a year. It depends on use. When the computer goes into dive mode, severa "bars" come up on the left. 4 bars is full charge, 1 bar replace batter now.

tboxcar:
This thread comes at a good time, I have had my Mosquito for almost a year, and have the replacement battery, but no 'O' ring. What problems might occur while replacing it? I guess basically putting it back the way you found it sounds right, just wondering what other things should I look out for?
Who sells the replacement Kit, does Leisure Pro?

Make sure you open it in a clean enviorment, hair is the worst thing for an o-ring. When reassembling, lubricate the ring with silicone grease (NOT SPRAY) just enough to make the o-ring shiny. Don't overtighten it either. Avoid touching the battery contacts on the battery and the computer. This causes unwanted corrosion.

There is a battery indicator (read the manual). I had my first low battery after only a couple months, but there's the unknown shelf-life to consider. The replaced battery and the Mosquito that held it was warranty replaced about 10 months later so the battery life is at least 10 months :wink:

I'm still under a year on this Mosquito (and the battery that came with it) so I can't really give you a good handle on the battery life (time or dives).

The advice that I received from my assistant instructor who also dives with a Mosquito was to be very careful to not "pinch" the o-ring and to make sure that it was clean.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom