Suunto DM3 simulation problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have given up completely on DM4 and Movescount - I just hope that the software in my Vyper was not written by the same team!
So I am sticking with DM3 - but have a problem. I want to set up a simulation and also, more importantly, want to be able to copy an existing dive into simulations and play with it. The help file explains how to do both - but it does not work!
Right clicking on the simulations folder does not offer the option to add a new simulation, and dragging an existing dive to the simulations folder only offers the opportunity to create a shortcut (why would I want to do that???).
Suunto support has so far very been of very little help, telling me things that I did not need to know and failing to answer these questions.
They suggested that I could create a new simulation by clicking on the diver icon in the top left hand corner - but failed to tell that they were looking at the Dive Planner - not the main screen; even if I create a simulation there, it will not appear in the simulations folder. So what is the purpose of this folder?
I have discovered that it is possible to change the gas mix in an existing dive record and this appears to change the tissue saturation graph to what would have happened with the new mix. I wonder whether this is accurate. It is also a bit risky changing data in existing records as they will be saved immediately - you need to remember what you chaged so that you can change it back.
Anyone else frustrated by quirky Suuno software and less than informative support?
Incidentally, I received an email after I got a reply to my query; this suggested that I could rate the quality of service from support. However, when I clicked on the link it just took me to my query - no option to rate the service! Yet another software error!!!

Following a number of emails to and from Suunto support, I think that I now have answers to my questions about DM3. As I understand it:

DM3 is essentially two separate pieces of software 'Dive Manager 3.1' and 'Dive Planner 1.0'. Dive Planner is accessed from the Actions menu in Dive Manager.

The Simulation function in Dive Manager does not work - and never has. The Simulations folder is of no use; if you drag and drop a dive to it, you will simply create a short cut to the dive.

Simulations can be created in Dive Planner, but it is not possible to copy any dives from Dive Manager to Dive Planner, and only dives made with the HelO2 or D9tx computers can be imported into Dive Planner from a computer. This makes it impossible to experiment with what would have happened if you had stayed longer at a certain depth or had used a different gas mix or cylinder - something described as a 'useful feature' in the DM3 help file - unless you have a HelO2 or D9tx; yet the software was sold to me a being compatible with my Vyper.

Existing dive records in Dive Manager can be changed, e.g. if you change the gas mix then the dive computer display and the tissue saturation graph will change to reflect the new mix. However, Suunto state:
"Tissue saturation information in Dive Manager is given as an indication only and this data should not be used to plan future dives.
The tissue saturation information in DM4 perhaps more closely reflects the actual status on the dive but the graph is still very much dependant on the sample rate used to store data."
This is not very helpful! How wrong is it???

When I bought my Vyper it cost £199 - plus £54 for the DM (2.7) software and a connecting lead (perhaps worth £5). It is now clear that the help file was really a wish list - features were missing from the start and the whole thing was a bit of a con. Now support has been withdrawn less than two years after I bought it. Even Microsoft do not do that to their customers!

I just hope that whoever created DM3, DM4 and Movescount did not write the software in the DC!

Hi,
you might want to try out our divePAL software.
We just released beta 0.8 that allows users to import SDE logbooks.
You can also create dive plans by using existing dive profiles - either yours or by searching among the public ones already available.
Also, with the Nitrox version you can Analyze series of up to 6 dives

Let me know if you want to become a beta tester and I will enable you.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom