Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Suunto, the company that doesn't give a **** about their customers and keep putting out faulty computers with even crappier straps at premium prices. All you read about Suunto is how the computers fail all the time and how you need to buy multiple straps every year and boy do they make the straps custom just so you are obligated to buy endlessly from them for ever so they can afford the expensive fraudulent marketing they put out that's polluting all the dive magazines and websites! Shame on you ! I guess I was an idiot to buy so many Suuntos through the years and be the sheep most divers are when choosing computers, thankfully today we have so many more options we don't have to buy from these frauds anymore, but in the meantime I still have all my faulty Suuntos as a testament to the crap they still chug out every year ! So here they are...

3 mosquitos and 2 Geckos dead because of depth sensor failure ! Sorry was 8 years ago, no serial numbers, were thrown out because they magically failed after warranty !

1 Zoop S/N 10904095 Depth sensor failed, again after warranty just expired, weird ...

1 D4 S/N10600925 Depth sensor and thermometer failure, again after warranty just expired

1 D9 can't find the S/N went through 4 cheap ass rubber straps before getting the titanium strap that broke 2 months ago because of oxidization of the non replaceable small pin that holds the strap to the "holder" which is screwed in the computer itself. Will I get another strap ? Hell no, the logbook navigation takes about 1 minute to scroll between dives and the compass does not work.

My wife gotta D6i, she's on her 4th strap as well and compass not working, needs constant calibration and then once you go down fails again...

And that's just me, go through Suunto's customer service forum,Scubaboard.com or any other scuba forums and you will read about hundreds if not thousands of cases of people being screwed out of their hard earned money just like myself.

Suunto will say they value your business and strive for quality, do a little research and you will see it's total ********, they only care about profit and by looking at their numerous marketing campaigns, they're doing pretty well scamming people off.

I'm a Scuba instructor and cave guide in Mexico now, I see hundreds of divers and students every year and I make it a point to explain to these people why to never ever get a Suunto and if they do, to sell it as fast as they can before it fails or they have to buy a new strap ( most people already have replaced them many times already) If and when Suunto starts respecting the customers, maybe we'll see a major improvement on their faulty products or will go broke like any fraud should...

Trust me, there are much much better options out there for your safety and your wallet, Like the Shearwater Perdix, the Oceanic and ScubaPro lines.

Don't waste your time with these clowns !

I've recently contacted a lawyer to see what options we have for a class action, but since it's a Finnish company that only deals with distributors in America, I've been told it's close to impossible anything will come from it so the best way to let 'em know they suck is to not buy from them again...

D4i that is 5 or 6 years old, no problems. Vyper Air, 3 years old, no problems. 2 different transmitters, no problems. 100's of dives on both computers, 1000's of miles of dive travel on both, no problems. Fresh batteries every year, and inspection/service every year. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm a "maintenance fanatic" ? My rebreather, it's electronics and computer have a great track record, as well.

As far as straps, I replaced the original with a Tibby Adapter before the original had a chance to fail.

I am fortunate that my approximately 10 year-old D6 is still in working order. Nowadays I use it as a back-up to my Shearwater. There do seem to have been some reports here on SB of Suunto depth sensor failures. I have no idea how the failure rate of Suunto compares with other computers.

Only problem I have ever had with a Suunto computer (started with an Eon, "upgraded" to a Cobra) was when I fat-fingered a battery replacement and flooded my Cobra.

Of course, both of my Suunto's were consoles, and not wrist-mounted, but I think the title of this thread being all inclusive begs something of an issue.

My Zoop hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. OP, I can understand your frustration, but I don't think it represents even a small minority of people's experiences.

Maybe try a Mares next time?

When I decided to change from my Cressi, I was warned to stay away from the newer watch style Suunto computers. My preference was to get a Shearwater Petrel (Perdix hadn't been released at that stage) but the cost for me was too high at the time. I bought a secondhand Vyper and it's been good.

Curious - what led to the Aqualung - Suunto split? Quality/ customer service issues or some other commercial reason?

Suunto, the company that doesn't give a **** about their customers and keep putting out faulty computers with even crappier straps at premium prices. All you read about Suunto is how the computers fail all the time and how you need to buy multiple straps every year and boy do they make the straps custom just so you are obligated to buy endlessly from them for ever so they can afford the expensive fraudulent marketing they put out that's polluting all the dive magazines and websites! Shame on you ! I guess I was an idiot to buy so many Suuntos through the years and be the sheep most divers are when choosing computers, thankfully today we have so many more options we don't have to buy from these frauds anymore, but in the meantime I still have all my faulty Suuntos as a testament to the crap they still chug out every year ! So here they are...

3 mosquitos and 2 Geckos dead because of depth sensor failure ! Sorry was 8 years ago, no serial numbers, were thrown out because they magically failed after warranty !

1 Zoop S/N 10904095 Depth sensor failed, again after warranty just expired, weird ...

1 D4 S/N10600925 Depth sensor and thermometer failure, again after warranty just expired

1 D9 can't find the S/N went through 4 cheap ass rubber straps before getting the titanium strap that broke 2 months ago because of oxidization of the non replaceable small pin that holds the strap to the "holder" which is screwed in the computer itself. Will I get another strap ? Hell no, the logbook navigation takes about 1 minute to scroll between dives and the compass does not work.

My wife gotta D6i, she's on her 4th strap as well and compass not working, needs constant calibration and then once you go down fails again...

And that's just me, go through Suunto's customer service forum,Scubaboard.com or any other scuba forums and you will read about hundreds if not thousands of cases of people being screwed out of their hard earned money just like myself.

Suunto will say they value your business and strive for quality, do a little research and you will see it's total ********, they only care about profit and by looking at their numerous marketing campaigns, they're doing pretty well scamming people off.

I'm a Scuba instructor and cave guide in Mexico now, I see hundreds of divers and students every year and I make it a point to explain to these people why to never ever get a Suunto and if they do, to sell it as fast as they can before it fails or they have to buy a new strap ( most people already have replaced them many times already) If and when Suunto starts respecting the customers, maybe we'll see a major improvement on their faulty products or will go broke like any fraud should...

Trust me, there are much much better options out there for your safety and your wallet, Like the Shearwater Perdix, the Oceanic and ScubaPro lines.

Don't waste your time with these clowns !

I've recently contacted a lawyer to see what options we have for a class action, but since it's a Finnish company that only deals with distributors in America, I've been told it's close to impossible anything will come from it so the best way to let 'em know they suck is to not buy from them again...
My Vyper Air (about 200 dives) and Vytec (about 400 dives) are still going strong. . .

We had Suunto Mosquitos for about 10 years. Had a problem with one after the warranty period, and they replaced it with a new one free of charge. My only complaint is that they are too conservative. We now have Oceanic Geo 2.0 and get about double the bottom time.

Back
Top Bottom