Suunto D9 Push Button O-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazontyler

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone ever replaced the push button o-rings on their D9 or D6? I have replaced the cpu battery and the transmitter battery, but to complete the maintenance I would like to replace these too. So, with that being said, has anyone else out there done this part and/or know the sizes of the o-rings needed?
thanks in advance for any input, jt

Gee...no budy. Unfortunately I can not help you with that one. I have opened and changed myself the battery in most SUUNTO dive computers (D4, D9, Stinger, etc) and I´ve leaarned how to do it step by step. But I ve never had to change a pushbutton O ring. I hope somebody could illustrate us on this topic because I am curious myself.

I'm guessing you contacted Suunto already...another source for inexpensive, assorted o-ring kits is Harbor Freight.

SUUNTO will not sell you any spare part for those watches (series D4 to D9 and Stinger) they consider the owner has to take back to their authorized repair shops even for battery replacement. They only provide their parts to those very few shops . And if I am wrong, I would love to hear somebody from SUUNTO US correct me about it.

Strange, because for my Suunto Cobra 1 computer, it gives instructions in the manual on how to change (and part numbers) the battery. I guess its because they don't want a clumbsy guy crossthreading the fine threads of the watchback into the case.

On Ebay there are battery kits which include an o-ring. Some kits offering several o-rings, which I imagine would be for the push buttons.

Jason, How far did you get with the disassembly of your D9?

Are you aware of how the back comes off? using a watch-makers wrench?

You can purchase all sorts of mini-screw driver sets from Harbor Freight, including tips for security screws if they are used. I don't know since I haven't taken apart a D9 but I'm sure it can be figured it out unless the module is glued together.

SUUNTO Cobra is supossed to be maintained by the user. It´s an easy one to change the battery. But the issue is with the push buttons of the D9.

With the adequate watchmakers tool called "case opener" (which you can get from Frei&Borel starting at around US$ 15), you first have to unscrew the ring in the back of the D9, then pry open the metallic lid and there you will see the battery, which, out of my memory, I believe is a CR2450. A member of scubaboard even posted an excellent thread on how to do this, step by step, and with a lot of pictures.

For US$ 9.50 somebody in the west coast is selling in Ebay the kit (battery + o ring)for replacing the battery in the D9.

But I have never seen an explanation on how to maintain the pushbuttons on this computer (which was the original question on this thread). Hope somebody, sometime, somehow bring some light on this topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom