Suunto D9. Is the 2 year complete service neccessary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just stumbled on to this amazing deal for a complete dive kit which included a Suunto D9. The computer was used 6 years ago for a total of 5 dives total. Obviously, it needs batteries but Suunto also recommends the 2 year/200 dive complete service which I guess includes complete replacement with other smaller O-rings, etc. While the cost of this service is somewhat offensive to begin with ($200.00+ with shipping). The bigger issue is I am limited on time with a trip coming up soon in which I was hoping to use this computer.

The other option would be to take the D9 and transmitter to a LDS and have them do the battery change/main O-ring replacement and pressure test. This is my preferred option-not only do I not have to worry about getting in back in time before my trip but it will give me a chance to get in a couple of locals dives up at the lake this weekend before I leave for Roatan. I am naive to believe this computer will be fine if I forgo the 2 year service. Should the pressure test reveal any issues with the "other" O-rings that the authorized service center will replace? While I will be taking my other computer I had planned to use before I found the D9, I don't want to potentially ruin what is a very nice instrument.

Thanks,

'bob

I you properly rinse/soak/clean your D9 after each days diving, then I would not bother. I only send my unit in to replace batteries.

i've got 500 dives on my suunto vyper and the only thing i do is replace batteries
like ajduplessis said ... soak, rinse, dry and clean the contacts with a tooth brush after each dive and your good to go
for the cost of the service you can almost get yourself a brand new computer, it won't be a D9 but it would do the job

Thanks for the responses. Yeah the prices for the 2yr/200 dive service from the "authorized" service centers are $175.00 - 185.00 not including shipping both ways. That price does include the transmitter. I suspect the 2yr/200 dive service preys on the psyche of the user in that if you paid $1,500 for the computer you don't want to risk the thought of it flooding + you can probably afford it. I, however, paid a garage sale price (literally) for it, so both the computer and service are for someone in a different pay grade.

I was able to get a LDS to change the battery on the watch but they would not touch the transmitter without sending it out to an authorized center saying it was sealed and could not be done by them. I hope when all is said and done this computer lives up to its hype or it is going on eBay and I will be going back to my old trusty non-air integrated puck computer with user changeable battery.

I was able to get a LDS to change the battery on the watch but they would not touch the transmitter without sending it out to an authorized center saying it was sealed and could not be done by them. .

That's pretty funny, because:

1.) The transmitter is NOT sealed, it's simply held closed by four screws
2.) Changing the transmitter batter is far easier than the one in the computer

All you need is a small Phillips head screwdriver and a tiny bit of silicon grease to re-lube the o-ring.
Takes less than 60 seconds.

I can't say for all transmitters. However, on this D9 the LDS did show me this red uneven melted plastic that looked like some kind of seal on the case lid. It looked like something they would use a signet ring on from days gone by. I don't think this material is required for a seal but I think Suunto uses it to determine if unit has been opened and so to void the warranty. The LDS said they could not replace it for that reason.

I have called or visited at least 7 different LDS's about getting this battery changed. Only one shop said they could change it no problem, but would not guarantee the seal (although he said he never had one flood yet), but he did not have the battery in stock and is a long way from me. I finally gave up and had the closest shop send it out for me guaranteeing the work and 1 week turn time.

Silly, I know. I will make sure I have back up batteries and change it myself in the future.

That's pretty funny, because:

1.) The transmitter is NOT sealed, it's simply held closed by four screws
2.) Changing the transmitter batter is far easier than the one in the computer

All you need is a small Phillips head screwdriver and a tiny bit of silicon grease to re-lube the o-ring.
Takes less than 60 seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom