Suunto D4i Settlement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sez all wrist computers you can find the serial number on the side. I have a Vyper and this is not the case? Anyone know wher the SN is on the wrist Vyper?
Update...comparing my Leonardo with my wife’s Vyper in Cozumel last month, the Vyper was spot on on depth and off by one degree in temps....I’ll assume the Vyper doesn’t have the issues raised.

I'm curious if anybody has sent in their defective computer and what has happened? (if anything?)
I just packed up my D9 (which has failed depth sensor) and I was wondering how long after they sent it in for inspection / replacement it has taken, etc..?

I almost threw away my D9 as it hasn't worked for years (but I couldn't bring myself to throw away a nice titanium wristband!!) but now that there is a Class Action I am REALLY delighted to know that I will likely get a replacement!!

I will update this thread as things progress, but if there are other posts on the same subject maybe we can COMBINE them into one SUUNTO SETTLEMENT thread?? That way we can "compare notes" and experiences as the process moves along!!

Thanks and best of luck!

Harley

I had my Vyper DS + transmitter sent in a while back, just got a Vyper Novo + transmitter (possibly the same one) and a data cable. I saw nothing on the online status, then it was shipped back.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually, I did receive an official response via email. They stated that the D9 was received and is currently "undergoing inspection", etc...I even sent a separate message through Suunto CS and they responded similarly.

As I doubt the replacement parts even exist for the D9 anymore, I would expect to receive a D6 or even DX model, as the Settlement provides for a replacement unit of "similar value and status".

I will try to update this thread as things progress.

How did this work out for you?
I sent mine in back in January and haven't heard a thing. Got an email telling me it was received and would take 25 days to fix. I've contacted Suunto, I've contacted whoever administers the settlement, and nothing. Did you get yours back?

Bro, this is been a TOTAL nightmare in every way!

Dealing with SUUNTO is like pulling teeth! I will NEVER buy another Suunto product ever again - once I get a replacement (hopefully) I will sell on Ebay or even donate to a student, etc...

Basically, I have been waiting since mid-Jan, when I started writing via their Website (you have to register with User / Pass in order to write them a message!). According to their site my D9 was booked-in for "evaluation" and after waiting for over a month I started writing them almost every day.

After 2-3 messages with NO factual updates, they THEN informed me that the D9 was somehow LOST!! and that it may not have ever reached them in Ogden UT. They were accusing me of deception!!
Of course I threw away the tracking # data, having TRUSTED them that when they showed they HAD my D9 (and worte an email stating that) it was the TRUTH!

Fast forward, 6 WEEKS, after many phone calls from "Supervisors" and Suunto BLAMING me and calling me a LIAR I FINALLY got another email stating they "found your package and it is being inspected at present"...

After all this heartache and stress I fully expect them to DENY my claim, based on how angry I have been and how things have been handled.

AT THIS POINT I REALLY WONDER IF ANYBODY IS GETTING ANY SATISFACTION, OR HAVE RECEIVED A REPLACEMENT COMPUTER???

OF COURSE I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED, OR YOU CAN PM ME DIRECTLY. BUT NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM "AGITATED" BEYOND BELIEF AT THE ENTIRE SERIES OF EVENTS!!

Currently going through the same bs. Sent my cobra back in December, got an email stating they received it on the 26th with an explanation that it should take approx. 14 days for repair. Multiple emails checking on progress with no good responses (waiting on parts, being looked at, evaluating). Last communication I had was almost a month ago and they informed me that I would be receiving a "new" cobra3 unit, in place of my original cobra, however the modules are currently out of stock...….. I just went on Suunto's website and when checked out the c3, showed in stock. I have seen some people selling their repaired/replaced units on ebay, so obviously some people are getting service, but clearly not near enough! Suunto is completely effing this up & clearly doesn't give a crap about the dive industry, imho...

UPDATE! Well, my situation is FINALLY resolved, but NOT exactly to my "satisfaction" (read the entire story below)

Once they found my D9 (lost in their service center for 2 MONTHS! ) I received a diagnosis from a Technician (which is communicated via the Suunto website -- which you must already have a login and password etc...) The response basically said that the D9 "is not repairable" and is no longer a current model.... BIG SURPRISE!

Then the technician had to NERVE to offer me a new DX with Ti band (which is supposed to be a comparable model to my D9) at a "special price of $650"...

While it's true that a new DX does retail for $1000+ I was pretty unhappy with the diagnosis and offer... Also, because the response is through the Suunto website it ONLY GIVES YOU the option to "accept the offer, or reject it"! There is NO BACK AND FORTH to exchange information about the case or to ask further questions etc.. .GREAT JOB SUUNTO ! SUPER CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

So I had to go through submitting a new claim via the website and i copied the text from the Tech. I asked 2 questions : WHY was I only offered the 1 model ? Couldn't I choose a different model to replace my D9?, and WHY am I being asked to PAY anything, if there is a defect involved?!!

I received a reply stating that because the unit is out of warranty (and is no longer being made) I have to pay for a replacement, although at a special price. After all the rigamarole I've been through I was really tempted to tell them to "SHOVE IT" but I figured might as well get something for all my trouble and I could then sell it as a brand-new computer. (the replacement does have full warrant but does not come in the normal packaging with cables and accessories)

SO based on that reply (and the fact that I will likely never dive a rebreather) I asked for a deal on the D6i Novo and they agreed on that model (not metal band) for $380.

While I can understand that the D9 is an older model I am disappointed that I had to pay anything at all...what good is a Class Action Lawsuit Settlement if the "loser" still makes $$ on the deal!??

Anyway, I'll have a new computer to either sell or use as a backup...I am curious to know how many people got free replacements with computers that were OUT of warranty?

@Harley1962 I believe your issue is that you don't live in the US. As I understand it, the free replacement part of the settlement only applies to US residents. I have seen others comment this in the past and on the settlement disclosure it says "if purchased new in the United States". It is truly a shame, the entire industry knows they've had problems with their depth sensors, regardless of where they were retailed. The cobra I sent in was replaced in '12 for depth sensor failure as well. Last season I purchased an OCi prior to the cobra failure, like the hoseless integration & adjustable algorithms, added an spg for redundancy, so when/if I ever receive my cobra3 replacement, it'll be for sale as well.

@Harley1962 I believe your issue is that you don't live in the US. As I understand it, the free replacement part of the settlement only applies to US residents. I have seen others comment this in the past and on the settlement disclosure it says "if purchased new in the United States". It is truly a shame, the entire industry knows they've had problems with their depth sensors, regardless of where they were retailed. The cobra I sent in was replaced in '12 for depth sensor failure as well. Last season I purchased an OCi prior to the cobra failure, like the hoseless integration & adjustable algorithms, added an spg for redundancy, so when/if I ever receive my cobra3 replacement, it'll be for sale as well.
You raise several good points here, and as you observed I am not always based in the US. However the D9 in question WAS purchased in the US, then failed and was replaced under warranty overseas (while living / working overseas).

Bottom line: I feel that Suunto was looking for an "OUT" to exclude themselves from responsibility and making an offer to somebody that spends a lot of time away from home was THEIR method of dictating terms!

I am a US Citizen and resident who works overseas a lot, so I do not see the relevance when applying the Settlement terms and conditions. Moreover, in the 4-5 times that Suunto Reps actually called me while i was overseas NOT ONE even questioned my place of residence, etc...

Yes, the D9 was "old" and had served me over 7 years (the original D9 failed in only 1.5 years before being replaced) so I could perhaps see it as a "reasonable" resolution. However, I still feel that the application of the Settlement terms is arbitrary and may in fact depend on who is the assigned Tech / Rep to handle your particular case.

I have given Suunto enough of my money and will certainly look at alternatives in the future. With Shearwater and Garmin entering the market there are more choices than ever so I see NO benefit in staying with Suuno products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom