Suunto Cobra vs. Scubapro Smartcom console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm in the process of buying gear and am considering my options as far as computers. I seem to prefer console-mounted computers over wrist-mounted (from what I've borrowed, rented, etc.)...seems to go against popular opinion, but whatever. Two of the ones I've really liked so far have been the Suunto Cobra and the Scubapro SmartCom console.

I've read through the archives here and tried each briefly, so I've seen/heard about a few of the issues: trying to push the buttons on the Cobra at depth, as well as the recent Scubapro recall. But I'm curious to hear opinions from anyone who has strong opinions about either, whether good or bad. In particular, if you have both, or went from one to another, I'd be very curious to hear about it. (If there's another console that's must-have that I'm missing, let me know...I'm definitely looking console, definitely looking for AI, and a quick-disconnect option would be great.)

For something that's good and will last years, cost isn't really an issue. Durability and functionality are. Thanks!

Stick with Suunto. The Cobra works and has proven itself... not to mention the fact that this is at least Uwatec's second serious recall in the past couple years. The first one had some people bent! :wacko:

I have both computers. I bought a Cobra knowing I wouldnt get my Uwatec Smartcom back for a while with the recall. I didnt like the fact that the Smart com didnt have a clock on it. I think it was a big oversight. I love the Uwatec's readout. Very large easy to read display. I has everything on one big screen. I like the Uwatec software better also. The interface of the Cobra is far better than the Uwatec. The buttons on the Cobra are easier than The Uwatec's wet contacts. The Cobra has time of day and date screen. I really like both computers. The Cobra has an easier to read compass, the posistioning of it is more forgiving. I wish i could combine the two into one. If I had to go out and buy just one tomorow I really would have a hard time choosing.

Personally, I like the Suunto's RGBM implementation better, as well as the buttons. On the Uwatec, I love the display. Time is not an issue, I wear a watch. Then again, I dive neither of those two.
Most manufacturers offer AI computers. Here two links that ought to give you an overview of what's out there.
14 New Dive Computers (including the Smarts)
http://www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,2-0-0-106,00.html
Best of - Computers (incl. Suuntos)
http://www.scubadiving.com/article/1,7424,2-0-0-383,00.html
There are links to the respective manufacturers, too.
For a good look at what they do download the manuals.

In my experience, the buttons of the cobra (what I use) aren't a problem at all. I didn't have any trouble in 50 degree water at 75' in a quarry with next to zero visibility using gloves. You really don't need to press the buttons on it while diving much anyway except to scroll from the water temp screen back to the dive time screen or to add a booknote to the dive profile. I was a big fan of Uwatec until I got my Cobra and hearing all the bad press Uwatec has received lately. The compass is indeed the best I've seen or used and mounts perfectly on the console. It's easy to read and can be tilted much more than any other compass.

If anyone is interested, my compass is for sale and is in mint condition with orig box and instructions. The only reason I'm parting with it is because I've decided to go with the wrist mounted SK-7 compass (same as what's on the console) and possibly switch to a wrist mounted vyper or vytec and either sell the cobra or use it as a backup. This is just because I'm trying to adopt more of the (dare I say) DIR philosophy. I do love the air integration and I know I'll have a hard time parting with it. I like to clip the cobra off to my right shoulder D-ring so that I can just glance down at it (hands free), but having to unclip it to navigate just isn't the most efficient way to go about it for me.

Back
Top Bottom