Suunto Cobra troubleshooting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaKeith001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ill try and make this brief.

Friend at work has a Cobra air inegrated dive computer that he wants me to buy for cheap. Its my first dive computer since I am new to diving. The problem is, is that when you start the computer it goes into free diving mode and starts you diving automatically....Super weird....

Is this fixable??? A quick re-set? Or a trip into the cobra manufacturer....

My question is............Has anyone had this problem and if so is it fixable???? Cost effective....

......Friend at work has a Cobra air inegrated dive computer that he wants me to buy for cheap. Its my first dive computer since I am new to diving. The problem is, is that when you start the computer it goes into free diving mode and starts you diving automatically............
The Cobra does NOT have a free diving mode. Maybe it is in dive simulator mode?

We have an online class for the Cobra.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

He probably means gauge mode. Same thing really.

Can it be put into dive mode? If not I would probably pass on the computer. If even it can be put into dive mode I would probably pass unless it was sent to Suunto for for check over. It might just be low battery.

Yeah. I think that the computer isn't in "free diving" mode, since the Cobra lacks that mode (as DiveNav pointed out). The Cobra is an air-integrated dive computer, so it lives in a console and has a digital pressure sensor hooked up to the first stage via a high pressure hose. A freediver doesn't dive with a tank, so the air-integrated features of a Cobra would be superfluous.

It's possible that the computer begins the dive (in Gauge mode as Scared Silly thinks) as soon as you turn it on. Perhaps the water contacts require cleaning. This can happen when the owner doesn't soak the computer in freshwater after diving in saltwater. A good soak in hot water with some agitation might help.

Does the computer accurately represent your depth? The computer's depth sensor should be registering 1 atm and reporting a depth of "0 ft." If this isn't the case, then you might have a faulty depth sensor, which would only be covered under the Suunto manufacturer's warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty is only in effect for the original purchaser and is not transferable.

If the computer is malfunctioning, then I would not consider purchasing it at all. As a novice diver, you have enough things to keep you occupied. Why add worrying about whether a dive computer is working properly to the list?

Thanks for the replys.

Supposedly when you turn the consel on it goes into dive mode automatically and gets deeper and deeper. He told me he left it on with his tank air on for over a week (dont ask me why) and now it is faulty.

I was not planning on buying it yet. Just wanted some good advise on if it could be fixed for cheap. I guess I will ask him if he wants to turn it into Cobra and see what they have to say about it.

The warranty is not covered anymore since it has over 1000 dives on it and was purchased some time ago.

But again I appreciate all your help...DIVENAV,SCARED SILLY AND BUBBLETRUBBLE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom