Suunto Cobra too conservative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's my understanding that the RGBM algorithm that Suunto uses gives a lot of weight to repetitive dives (say, less than 2 hours of surface interval), reverse profiles, rapid ascents, and repetitive diving over a number of successive days. Possibly sawtooth profiles, too--I'm not sure if I heard that or not, but I believe some algorithms take them into account. I have two Suuntos (a D6 plus a Zoop as a backup) and chose Suunto specifically because I understood it to be conservative, and the RGBM algorithm made sense to me based on the little I knew about deco algorithms. I usually dive Nitrox, the most dives I have ever done in a day or wish to do in a day is five, and when I'm diving five or six days in a row on vacation I will take a morning or afternoon off from diving in the middle of the vacation. If I'm diving air, I will leave even more time between dives or dive days and make sure to avoid reverse profiles and rapid ascents. It doesn't bother me, and gives me peace of mind. If you feel this kind of diving is too conservative, the Suunto may not be the best choice for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom