Suunto Cobra Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have read several good reviews regarding the Suunto Cobra computers, but I had a problem with mine recently that I hope is rare.

The depth gage part of the computer malfunctioned after only one year. On one dive, it registered zero feet for the entire dive. Then, on the next dive, it recorded my maximum depth to be 425'. (the lake was only 20-feet deep) The pressure gage worked fine, and so did the computer display and all the buttons. It appears that the depth sensor on the outside of the computer went crazy on me.

The reason I'm posting here is that I mentioned this to my LDS because they use a lot of these computers and this happened to one of theirs just recently as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, and before I forget. Suunto replaced my computer with no questions asked. I mailed them my computer and got a new one (I think) about 2 weeks later. I was very happy with the service, just dissappointed with it's performance.

Farmer Dan

I have logged 55 dives on my Cobra and have never run into a problem. I also use a watch and a mini spg for backup.

Farmer Dan:
I have read several good reviews regarding the Suunto Cobra computers, but I had a problem with mine recently that I hope is rare.

The depth gage part of the computer malfunctioned after only one year. On one dive, it registered zero feet for the entire dive. Then, on the next dive, it recorded my maximum depth to be 425'. (the lake was only 20-feet deep) The pressure gage worked fine, and so did the computer display and all the buttons. It appears that the depth sensor on the outside of the computer went crazy on me.

The reason I'm posting here is that I mentioned this to my LDS because they use a lot of these computers and this happened to one of theirs just recently as well.

Oh, and before I forget. Suunto replaced my computer with no questions asked. I mailed them my computer and got a new one (I think) about 2 weeks later. I was very happy with the service, just dissappointed with it's performance.

Farmer Dan

I have a cobra and so far no problems with it. I love it!

Farmer Dan:

Farmer Dan

It should be a one off case. However, how the computer is maintained after dives is important. No computer is build to be maintenance free. Corrosion, leaks, biological growth, mechanical shocks (from bumping around while travelling) all contribute to computer malfunctions.

For the cobra, the quick-release airhose connection is a very big point of failure, one must ensure that the sealing there is good.

Stuff happens, particularly wiht electronics. My Cobra is 3 years old and has 138 dives on it. I have logged 110 beached dives, so it sees rough treatment. I have it serviced on a regular basis as scheduled and love it.

I want to resurrect this old thread.

Two of my friends have Cobras and both of them have malfunctioned recently (the latest one was tonight in the middle of a decompression dive) by showing erroneous depth reading. In both cases it was showing too *shallow*.

Has anyone else had trouble with their Cobras (or other Suunto computers) showing incorrect depths?

R..

I dive with both a Suunto Solution and a Companion. Needless to say, both are very old and both have 4 or 500 dives on them at least.

After maybe 7 years the Solution started displaying the incorrect depth. Only for a weekend as I immediately took it in. One of the dives I was at 130' and the Solution didn't think I was diving.

Suunto fixed the computer with no questions asked. They threw in a a new boot and a new plastic guard as well. The pressure / depth sensor had gone bad. It's been 5 or more years since that happened and no problems with either computer since.

Paula

No problems with the cobra yet. I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope this was just an isolated problem.

4 years so far 250 plus dives no trouble :keep my fingers cross doing so deep dives this Sept 2-5 off nc coast .

Back
Top Bottom