Suunto Cobra 3 - QC alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booyah24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all.. I'm new to the world of diving and have just recently signed up for a certification course. I have an opportunity to purchase a cobra 3 from a friend however it does not have the qd adapter. Apparently it was attached to the regulator when it was sold. So, I wanted to know if there were any alternatives to the suunto quick disconnect. I can get one online but I've read of some complaints about the qd which is a bit concerning. I would appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!!

I can't reply with any first-hand knowledge to your query for alternatives, but since you're asking for any input:
I have the QD on my Cobra (classic, or cobra 1). Just about exactly 100 dives on it, no problems whatsoever.
My wife's Cobra, bought used, also has the QD, probably more total dives than mine, also no problems.
It does marginally improve on convenience in the expected ways, and if I needed to replace it, the replacement would have the QD.

I don't recall reading anything significantly negative about it here or elsewhere. Doesn't mean that doesn't exist.
I did a search, and found this older thread, where post #4 suggests an anecdotal problem with a QD "on a different Air Integrated computer",
not even necessarily a Suunto. Most other posts in that thread reported no issues.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/287589-cobra-2-problems.html

This thread suggests a few hypothesized problems, but seems to put them to rest.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...yzers/5775-suunto-cobra-quick-disconnect.html

Pretty much every mass produced product will have some incidence of failure in the field population.
I didn't think the QD is generally regarded as troublesome. What complaints about it were you referring to?

I've owned both a cobra and and now a Cobra 3 and I love using both. Suunto products are on the conservative side, but I'm ok with that. As far as the quick disconnect goes, I have that system and would recommend it without hesitation. I had to replace an o-ring on the computer side of the disconnect two years ago, but that was the extent of the problems. Your LDS should be able to order and install the QD when you buy it.

If you compare the older version of QD's to what is offered by Suunto now for the Cobra, there isn't a comparison. If you can find the quarter-turn current version QD, buy it and use it, you will not be dissappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom