Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. They are trying to calm the hysteria, and above all are not going to be involved in shark hunts.

UPDATE:

Scientists have indicated that their findings, up to now, suggest two species were involved in the attacks: one oceanic whitetip shark and one mako shark. Initial investigations by shark experts and marine scientists suggest factors that may have contributed - but are not limited to - the causes of behavioural change in sharks involved in attacks include the following:

*One or more incidents of illegal dumping of animal carcasses in nearby waters

*Depletion of natural prey in the area caused by overfishing

*Localised feeding of reef fish and/or sharks by swimmers, snorkellers and some divers

*Unusually high water temperatures in Sharm el Sheikh

Glad the experts are here - er - we've been saying the same for days!!

Anyway I think the CDWS have acted well during the situation, although I think re-opening the beaches so early was a mistake - having said that, this is a highly unusual situation and given the pressure they must have been under, it is an understandable mistake, albeit one with tragic consequences.

Time will tell as to the repercussions here in sharm, but i think it could have been far, far worse.

Cheers

C.

I really hope that things can return to normal there soon! I know this is highly unusual!

Just curious on this - outside of the notorious feeding of fish that we all know happens here, anyone know of how the resorts dispose their garbage/old food. Wondering if perhaps they are dumping their scraps at night and that's conditioning the sharks to come in closer to look for easy food.

Disclaimer: not accusing anyone of anything, but just something that came to mind with these happening so close to the resorts.

The notorious feeding of sharks that we all know happens there? Ive not once seen sharks being fed or any sign of sharks being fed in Sharm, so it being commonly done Ive got a hard time believeing.

Unfortunately Ive not seen any sharks there either, guess I should go in december next year :p

think you read that wrong Tigerman -

... - outside of the notorious feeding of fish that we all know happens here....

I don't see a lot of it, to be honest, but I am sure it happens. The worst area is around Travco as I have mentioned elsewhere. The boat captains there are charged a fee to have their trash removed - so guess what happens to it. It hasn't been quite so bad recently but I have left there early in the morning with the port a veritable sea of plastic bags and galley waste.

There is no official shark feeding dive here, but I have heard stories of people baiting sharks with leftovers when they have been seen in the area...

Cheers

C.

You must have proof of 50 logged dives to dive in the Sharm area. If not, they will route you to Dahab.

Be Warned!

You must have proof of 50 logged dives to dive in the Sharm area. If not, they will route you to Dahab.

Be Warned!

This information is not new - in fact it is mentioned about 5 posts back...

On the theme - given that I work here - a number of divers are wise to the fact and are lying about their dive experience. From the deepest, darkest depths of my waterlogged heart, future visitors please do not be tempted to do this. It's really, really obvious; faked log books are easy to spot, and at the moment, you may potentially be putting yourself at risk - highly unlikely, but then fatal shark attacks were also highly unlikely here until last week.

You're new here Ed, but have a look back through the posts for the last few days for more complete information. It is regrettable that the restrictions are in place, but understandable. I agree with them.

Cheers

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom