Survivor Bias

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Italy the best diving sites start at 35-40m and are wonderful down to 60m. This was the standard diving done RECREATIONALLY when I was young. We started using a twin tank (and a CC rebreather) since the first OW course, and the rec limits, at the time, were 50m, with buddy and with "light" deco (which means the deepest stop had to be 6m).
Was it worth the risk? I think yes, as only at those depths (40-50m) you see scenarios like these ones:
Secca Isuela, Punta Chiappa, Portofino (near Genoa):
View attachment 619425

Secca del Toro, Favignana (a small island south of Sicily):
View attachment 619426

Red coral inside caverns at Capo Caccia, Sardinia:
View attachment 619427

Another reason to visit Sicily. Thanks, Angelo. Once again, you've schooled me.

I

It gets old to read how much you guys did back in the day but not today... Oh no, now you take enough gas to circumvent the planet in order to go to 61' solo. You guys take the kitchen sink but of course no knife, only an overpriced envelope opener of some sort.

Ok I'll stand down from my soap box.

You made my day,:checkbox: could not stop laughing.

How does one know the difference between skill and ignorance?

I have always said that there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness.

Back in the day, when I clicked into my ski bindings at 14,000 feet at the top of 1,200-foot high 60-degree snow chute, I always wondered on which side of the line I had positioned myself.

My numerous trips to the ER, dislocated joints, and broken bones shows that I was never very good at figuring out if I was being brave or foolish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom