Surge and sandstorm at Golf Ball Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I have missed a few opportunities to dive during the past month. When we did go out, we had swells, fog, and poor visibility. The ocean looked pretty flat this morning, so we headed out around 5:30.

After pulling out of the garage, the fog began creeping in from the coast. It wasn't too thick, and the ocean was calm, so we motored to Golf Ball Reef. It was so calm that I coasted the last 120 feet to our coordinates and anchored right at the barrel without having to maneuver the boat. I was expecting great conditions. I was wrong.

The water got darker as we approached the bottom. Surge made it impossible to use my stage for photography. Just as well, as the sand was stirred up everywhere. Visibility was a dark three feet. I stuck it out long enough to get some bad photos.

1658258899734.png

1658258938393.png

1658258953835.png

1658258984484.png

1658258997608.png

1658259027015.png

My buddy and I still chuckle over a dive shop employee on Maui who was adamant that it was undiveable that day because the viz was "only" 30 feet. I think of that also whenever your "bad" photos make my best ones look like crap. Thanks for sharing, as always!

My buddy and I still chuckle over a dive shop employee on Maui who was adamant that it was undiveable that day because the viz was "only" 30 feet.

Maybe it is if your job is to "mother hen" a dozen divers with unknown skill and experience? I was always happy if the vis was more than the length of my arm.

Your idea of bad photos and mine are very different! And I mean that as a compliment

... Visibility was a dark three feet. ...
Are you sure you didn't make a giant loop and were still diving at the marina docks?
Those octo picts are still really good !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom