Question SurfEars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSpaniel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone tried SurfEar ear plugs while diving? There are multiple articles stating that they make it easier to equalize.

The SurfEars should be similar to other vented earplugs on the market. You can search Scubaboard for "doc's proplugs" to bring up some threads. I've used Doc's for years, and have recently switched to Hydro Seals from JBL Spearguns. They help keep my eardrums warm. They do not keep out water. You must make sure the vents are not clogged before each dive. If you lose one during a dive, a sudden in rush of cold water can cause vertigo (has never happened to me). See the other threads for pro/con.

EDIT: A hood can also help keep your ears warm.

I had not looked at the SurfEars previously. They appear to be a little different to Doc's and JBL. They may be fine, but to me, they are more complicated with the "acoustic mesh" vent. The Doc's and JBL have a simple hole thru them that I can visually inspect for obstructions. I don't know if I'd be able to see clogs in the SurfEars.

Earplugs help me with equalization because they keep my eardrums warm. Cold water inside my ears makes it harder for me to equalize, even "warm" tropical waters. Read some of the other threads to understand the risks. And if those risks look ok to you, then try the earplugs. They aren't too expensive. The Doc's and JBL plugs cost a bit less than the SurfEars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom