Surface support from a private boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least in my 3* class, we discussed possible methods to bring an unconscious victim up in the boat. Apparently, tying two ropes to the gunwale, passing them under the body and up again and then having two persons aboard haul the victim up is supposed to work. Sometimes. If you're lucky. And any boat should have a few meters of sturdy rope stowed away somewhere.

If the "body" isn't alive, all you need is a few meters of rope. Tie a bowline on one end, hitch to one of the aft cleats. Tie another bowline through one of the D-rings on the body's rig, make sure the rig is properly fastened and the BCD/wing bladder is properly inflated, and start towing.

This is of course both tongue in cheek and rather tasteless, but there are some scenarios that you won't be able to handle without outside assistance. Sometimes the only viable solution is to call emergency services, either on the phone or on channel 16 on the VHF and wait until they arrive to take over.

Yep, that's the procedure. Apparently, it can be done with two ropes instead of a net. Never tried it, though, I only know about it from theory.

In my rescue course, we had to perform a Fireman's Carry. Fortunately, I learned it while in the Boy Scouts and had to actually use it once. I was fishing from a pier near the Golden Gate Bridge with my Dad when a little girl fell off the pier. I jumped in after her and had to carry her back up a splinter-filled wooden ladder. Even carrying a little girl was difficult when I was twelve. I'd hate to have to carry an adult up a dive ladder, but I believe I still could.

You've got a bit more creature comforts in your boat than I have in mine. There's no way in heck I can install a shower in an 18-footer, air condition is something I only have in my car and when I'm steering a boat I'm not drinking anything stronger than 0.8 percent ABV. The blood alcohol limit at sea over here is 0.08 percent, but if I'm steering anything that goes faster than six knots I'm staying sober as a judge.

I'm making it up in the evening, though...

I too would never drink to much and drive. Nothing better than an iced cold beer after a dive. I then just enjoy the relaxed feeling I get after diving. Diving is mental and physical therapy for me.

You reach the surface and achieve positive buoyancy be in inflate the wing/vest or drop weights if you are in failure mode. Then you consider passing up the fins if you have to. Every boat I have been on also has a rope going out to a float. Personally I prefer fin on if possible. If the boat is bouncing you can get in and up and on the ladder much more quickly with fins on. At least I can.

Back
Top Bottom