Surface Marker Buoy deployment with long hose and necklace while sharing air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more things you add to your plate, the more control you need. If you are having problems controlling your ascent while sharing gas, then adding an SMB deployment to the mix is going to make that at least temporarily worse (maybe better once you have it up). That's why we learn the skills in isolation -- practice each thing until it is done well, and add them together when each is smooth and reproducible.

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter a real out-of-gas situation before you have those skills mastered, you will have to make decisions at each step as to what you can manage. If you initiate an air-share and things are going well, you can consider shooting a bag to give yourself an upline for reference. If you are yo-yoing all over the place, you're probably better off just trying to control yourselves and avoid a ballistic ascent.

The trick is to get the emergency procedures in place and solid BEFORE you ever encounter a real need for them. Which it sounds as though you are doing!

BTW, I use the Halcyon oral inflate bag. You can inflate it with very cold lips, because the big metal flange makes it possible to seal well even when your face is numb.

Pretty much exactly as Lynne said. And she is one of the people you should talk to in the PNW at GUE Seattle...:)

G

The more things you add to your plate, the more control you need. If you are having problems controlling your ascent while sharing gas, then adding an SMB deployment to the mix is going to make that at least temporarily worse (maybe better once you have it up). That's why we learn the skills in isolation -- practice each thing until it is done well, and add them together when each is smooth and reproducible.

If you are unfortunate enough to encounter a real out-of-gas situation before you have those skills mastered, you will have to make decisions at each step as to what you can manage. If you initiate an air-share and things are going well, you can consider shooting a bag to give yourself an upline for reference. If you are yo-yoing all over the place, you're probably better off just trying to control yourselves and avoid a ballistic ascent.

The trick is to get the emergency procedures in place and solid BEFORE you ever encounter a real need for them. Which it sounds as though you are doing!

BTW, I use the Halcyon oral inflate bag. You can inflate it with very cold lips, because the big metal flange makes it possible to seal well even when your face is numb.

In addition to Lynne's usual excellent advice, there's one more thing to think about. When people are task-loaded, buoyancy control and awareness are often the first two skills to suffer. You're sharing air ... meaning one of you is out of gas, and chances are pretty good that the donor doesn't have a whole lot in reserve, assuming you're dive buddies and have been on the same dive profile the whole time. Bad enough at that point to risk an uncontrolled ascent. Even worse to be screwing around at depth and have the donor run out of air while you're paying attention to something else.

It's a matter of priorities ... in this case, your priority is to reach the surface and either inflate your BCDs or dump weights to assure you remain there.

I would not be too concerned about shooting an SMB in this situation unless you are so well practiced at it that it won't keep you at depth for any appreciable extra time than just ascending would.

Always remember, your priority is reaching the surface while you still have breathable air in your tank ... even if it means going up a little too fast. Bent is fixable ... death by drowning is not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You will find that the position many of us take is that all the skills you need to accomplish what you need to accomplish can be learned. They can be practised and kept ready for the day that you may really need them, in which case, everything you need to do is there with you, ready and waiting. This requires a commitment from you in terms of training and practising. I could make any number of analogies but the GUE approach is that if we can learn, practise and master a skill that can prepare us for a worst case scenario....then why would we not? You don't need the Force, or be a black belt ninja or whatever to learn how to have great buoyancy control, trim and situational awareness. I have yet to see anyone who couldn't learn these things. You just need to make the commitment to learn them. It really isn't rocket science...:) I would start by reaching out to the local community just to see what is possible and see what you think. Dive with a few of them. You will be surprised. Ask about their pathway to get to where they are now and then make an informed decision.

Best,

Guy

Thanks you very much folks for your thoughtful comments. Pretty much they sum up what my gut feelings have been telling me about the whole thing. My regular buddy thinks otherwise because we just practiced shooting the SMB without simulating an AOA situation and everything went OK a part from few minor imperfections (such as not looking up just before blowing air in the SMB).Well I guess we are going to have an interesting conversation later today when he comes back from work! Wish me good luck! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom