Supplemental SPG illumination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone making a supplemental illumination system for the SPG? Something that will fit a variety of gauge and consoles. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm constantly dealing with an SPG that won't glow for long. I'm wanting something that won't require using the FL every time I want to check my PSI.

If you use a can light, putting it on your left hand works well, to accidentally light the SPG's face while unclipping. However, not everyone uses a can light, and no everyone clips their SPG off like that.

I'm not sure what's the best solution. There are small glow sticks designed for tiny bracelets and things, perhaps you could use Sugru to make a boot that has a space to stick one of those, strong enough to hold it during a dive, but also making it easy to switch out for the next dive. It's probably flexible enough to wrap around the SPG.

I'm surprised no manufacturer has considered integrating a small LED into an SPG. It wouldn't be that complicated, nor would it be that impressive of a feat of engineering...A CR2032 powering an LED through a simple "ON-OFF" tap switch would provide days of power.

How about get a small chemlight (the US Army has chemical lights in five hundred different colors and sizes, some of them are like 1" long) and use some clear packing tape to attach it to the face of the SPG?

Good idea, black tape will keep the light from shining back at you (direct it at the SPG),

How about get a small chemlight (the US Army has chemical lights in five hundred different colors and sizes, some of them are like 1" long) and use some clear packing tape to attach it to the face of the SPG?

Zackly.

I have used these secured by a gauge protector.

I just recently added strontium aluminate dots onto the dial of my gauge as the original zinc phosphor GITD markings were fading. Of course, the gauge I restored was a vintage gauge which allows the bezel and lens to be unscrewed allowing access to the dial of the gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom