Superior Dive, Sosua, Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just read DiverDave65's post on diving in Sosua and I have to agree with him 100%!

My wife and I just got back from 9 wonderful days in Sosua, Dominican Republic over our winter break. The main purposes of our trip were to visit with family and SCUBA dive in the warm Carribean Sea. We dove with Superior Dive Co. located in the Sosua Bay Hotel right on the waterfront next to the beach. All of the dives offered by Sperior Dive (about a dozen) are at most a 20 minute boat ride from the beach. We went diving five days. We did a deep wreck dive on the Zingara to 115 feet. The Zingara is about 60' long and has some areas one can swim into the hull. We did several dives on different walls, including one with several Tunnels in the rock formation large enough to swim through. One day we traveled inland and dove in a cueva (cave). The Blue Lagoon Dudu cueva is a sink hole with several long caves radiating from the central sink hole which is filled with wonderfully clear, clean cool fresh water. Our other dives were in a variety of topography and depths. On one dive we saw a pair of Jack Knife fish which I had never seen before in 35 years of diving all over the Carribean. The staff of Superior Dive lived up to their name - Superior. Wendy, Analdo, Mark, Chuck and Paul were always helpful and friendly. Their equipment all appeared to be like new. The BCs all had integrated weight systems which were a first for me and were very comfortable and easy to use. The staff loaded and unloaded all of our gear on the pangas (open dive boats similar to a Boston Whaler.) All we had to do was wade out off the beach and hop in. The weather over the Winter Break, Dec. 21 - Dec. 30, was great. The air temp stayed about 78 F during the day, cooling a little at night. The ocean water temps were about 74-76 F. I used a 3mm wetsuit jacket in the ocean. The fresh water in the cueva was a little cooler and we used full 2mm wet suits. Several days had large swells coming into the bay from the ocean. We chose not to dive one day for that reason but Superior Dive has a policy if you pay for a day of diving but can't dive because of the conditions they will provide another activity. Superior Dive took us to 27 Falls that day. This location is a series of waterfalls coming down the hill through what appears to be limestone. We hiked, climbed and waded up to the top of approximately 12 waterfalls. It took us about an hour to climb up and about an hour to make our way down. On the way down we jumped from the top of several of the falls to the pools below. The highest jump was about 30 feet. This is a very strenuous climb and we had to be pulled up with ropes by the guides in several places. I would highly recommend this location and Superior Dive for serious SCUBA enthusiasts. Superior was notified they had earned the prestigious PADI 5 star rating while we were there. There are lots of independent dive operations in Sosua but Superior Dive is the only one located right on the bay in a very nice hotel. The trip was especially memorable as we returned home to a blizzard and temps of 9 F.

Attachments

• DSC03092.JPG
    DSC03092.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC03217.JPG
    DSC03217.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC03232.JPG
    DSC03232.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC03211.JPG
    DSC03211.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03077.JPG
    DSC03077.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 176
Wholeheartedly agree with wagnerj's post. I just did 11 dives with Superior Dives in Sosua and it was a very positive experience. The staff was friendly, knowledgable and professional. The water in Sosua was about 27 degrees, warm enough to wear just a shorty, and the visibility was never less than 20 meters. There are a lot of lionfish in the area, and we spearguned quite a few of these invaders because of the damage they do. The large ones we brought back and gave to some locals on the beach who apparently have found a way to prepare them for dinner.

Yes, the lion fish population is growing, it was on the north coast already when I lived there and we have them here on the south as well now. Too bad that the big dive shops were too busy to do something about it when there were only few.
The lion fish is really good, unfortunately local fishermen don't catch them, it's easier to catch some bigger fish :) We are trying to convince the local restaurants to prepare dishes with lion fish and that would of course motivate the locals to catch them.

Thanks for you post. I am going to check out this dive shop when we visit in a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom