Super Suit closed gap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought the Super Suit housing for a GoPro 5. The Super Suit leaves a gap the thickness of a credit card between the main housing and backdoor. Is this correct? The GoPro 2 housing I have closes much more tight. I've tested it in 1' of water, and it's fine, but I'm wondering if the gap is supposed to be there.

Thanks!

27235460_HERO5_Black_Supersuit_90_master_jpg-103495-500x500.jpg

I would say that yes it is meant to be there. Allows for application of pressure on the gasket/seal between the housing and backdoor, when latching. As well as, better seal at depth when the seal/gasket will compress even further from the higher pressure. Also, the thicker seal probably allows it to work down to the 60M specs vs the 35M spec on the HERO 2. Remember it is the gasket that creates the seal not the plastic case.

If you are really worried about it, just take the sealed Super Suit case by itself down to depth on your next dive and see if any water is in the housing after your dive.

Thanks for posting the photo! It didn't occur to me to look for one.

I usually test the housing before putting in the camera. On my last trip, I brought along a Hero 2 with housing and a Canon G12 with a brand new Canon-made housing. I already have an existing Sony NEX-5 with housing that's worked for me, but I wanted to switch to the G12 because it has a single button white balance, operational zoom, and macro. The Canon-made housing leaked on the first dive. I cleaned it and tested it again the next day and the same thing happened. I ended up using the Hero 2 as my main camera. Now, I'm in a situation where the Hero 5 and housing are new (thus untested) and I would like to use the G12 housing, to see if the fix I did worked. I'm trying to keep the number of cameras and housing down to just two and not bring the NEX-5 and housing. I just needed to verify the Hero 5 housing is as it should be!

Back
Top Bottom