Sup Ikelite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think new (underwater photographer) divers can spot that?
Not all of them, but sure: how about a marine biologist that just started taking pictures while diving? Or a lifelong snorkeler that wanted to go deeper. Or someone that just watched a David Attenborough documentary. This is not esoteric information. Forget phylum; algae and coral are not even the same kingdom!

If one thinks that all contact with the reef is bad, then that really ends the discussion. However, as I read through discussions about reef hooks and spearfishing on this same board, Some people have a different tolerance for reef contact, or see themselves as a part of an ecosystem, and not just a dispassionate observer. I'm just suggesting moving past this simple knee-jerk reaction and asking why a photographer might choose to plant a fin down.

Even if the diver had perfect buoyancy, a strobe could be enough trauma to force a fish to abandon a guarded eggmass. would a new diver know that? maybe, maybe not. but i don't see wildlife warning inserts with any camera or housing i've bought.

I think that Ikelite could have chosen a better picture, but then again from a photographic standpoint, I can see why they picked it. The composition works well with the fin travelling outside of the frame as it leads the eye into the photograph. It's not a bad photograph; without context, it just shows potentially poor technique. Then again, he could be hand holding a 1/5sec shutter speed with rear curtain strobe sync, and in that situation, fin on a rock is probably less invasive than setting up a tripod underwater, which would show good substrate choice as well as good camera technique.

The picture maybe a composite. The back of the front foot looks kind of odd. Maybe the photographer's picture was taken in a studio or elsewhere and photoshopped into the image with the reef.

And to me it does not seem like he is kneeling on coral. It looks indeed like coral rubble or just rock.

Since the diver has an Air2, i suspect he won't be around to molest the invertebrates for much longer anyway

Heheh :)

It does appear the diver may have been Photoshop'd into the image.

Regardless, I think it would be very difficult for Ikelite to defend this photo. I too wonder what the company was thinking, or not, when using this photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom