Sup Ikelite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Why does the new 2010 Ikelite catalog show a diver kneeling on coral?

http://www.ikelite.com/downloads/Ikelite_Catalog_10vol1.pdf

Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, when you see a diver with a huge camera rig and tags still on his equipment, he/she is doing exactly that, laying on the reef, for whatever reason.

It is not OK to stand on the reef just for a picture. But it is just a picture and nothing more, but, it is bad behavior, could have gotten a shot with the diver not standing on the bottom, I guess.

Now, this diver never touched or stood on the reef and he was definitively a pro, he was like a ghost, he moved in, he would take the shot and was gone leaving a few bubbles trailing and no more:

IMG_0706_edited-2-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
Poor choices all around. Perfect example of what not to do as a photog. Actually shocking that the folks at Ikelite did not cringe and junk this photo the moment they saw it.

True, but on a shore dive i usually walk over a beach, also full of living things. my suit is probably caked with microscopic diatoms, my BC bladder is plastered with marine phages, and who knows how many ephyrae and larvae my bubbles stun or kill in the water column.

I understand not to disturb the coral becuase it's slow growing, but algae and rocks are, plankton and rocks. i'm giving the diver the benefit of the doubt that he can tell rock from coral.

edit: Since the diver has an Air2, i suspect he won't be around to molest the invertebrates for much longer anyway.

isn't the guy kneeling on coral rubble and calcareus algae, not coral?

Agree, but the picture sets a bad example for those who dont know the difference and made me cringe at fist glance.

Front cover- Knock knock (pause)... "Hello (pause) marketing department...is there anyone here...?"

True, but on a shore dive i usually walk over a beach, also full of living things. my suit is probably caked with microscopic diatoms, my BC bladder is plastered with marine phages, and who knows how many ephyrae and larvae my bubbles stun or kill in the water column.

I understand not to disturb the coral becuase it's slow growing, but algae and rocks are, plankton and rocks. i'm giving the diver the benefit of the doubt that he can tell rock from coral.

edit: Since the diver has an Air2, i suspect he won't be around to molest the invertebrates for much longer anyway.

I am a bit conflicted here, on one hand your unabashed rampant killing of innocent marine creatures is appalling, on the other hand, ephyrae and larvae obviously deserve to die (as do diatoms).

I think the photo was a serious mistake, but having been diving with some very famous photographers over the years, I can tell you I have seen worse.

I tend to be careful of coral and any slow growing thing.. but will lay, walk, kneel in sand (I notice on shore dives, that the ocean is none to kind to that area also).

Mud...hummm I avoid it because it makes for terrible pictures.

Not knowing exactly what they are on in that image...I think I will reserve judgement as to how much damage they were doing.

Last comment. Since he is shooting coral and sponge plus he is in a 3mm suit I assume he is in the tropics. So much higher probability what he is on can support corals.

Admittedly I am a hypocritical purist. Yes I shore dive and stomp on sea grass, snails and who knows what else. Yes I have sat my butt on the rocks of Cocos so I could get my photos of hammerheads and will probably do the same in the Galapagos.

BUT in all other cases I strive to hover over sand/reef/rock and not lay on it. For me part of the enjoyment and challenge of underwater photography is getting shots with no more than One Finger On The Reef/Bottom/Rocks.

I will “stick” to my premise that we should do what we can to minimize our impact on the reef. (yeah, yeah, I know best thing would be not to dive at all but as I said hypocritical purist)

Back
Top Bottom