Sunstars in the Pacific Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
As you may know, there has been a widespread die off of sunstars in broad sections of the Pacific Northwest.

The Underwater Council of BC is searching for intel on the health of sunstars at deeper depths below 150 ft. They would like to know what areas you have seen them, and what is their current condition since the die off. I guess they want to know of the extent of the die off and whether depth is a factor in the die off. Thanks in advance for the information. I'll be happy to pass it on.

Do you think they would be interested in this information from Puget Sound? I know some divers who would love an excuse to exhale some helium.

For sure. Thanks Lynne. By the way, Up here, I actually haven't seen sun stars below 150. How common are they found at these depths.?

I have no idea -- I've never been that deep in Puget Sound. I think my deepest has been 140 or so. But I have certainly seen a lot of sunflower stars on our silty bottoms around 120.

Im sure they would also be interested to know if the stars at 120 survived the recent die off. Most of their input has been above 100. Thanks again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom