Sunset Lake--Linton, IN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terfmop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright, this was my first dive after my check-outs last weekend.

I went with one of the assistants in my class. Weather was absolutely perfect today and I was looking forward to diving anywhere.

This small body of water is located in Linton, IN (39 3'17.91"N, 87 8' 36.20"W). I wore a 7mm suit, no hood, no gloves. Entry was very easy as I used a concrete boat ramp for entry. Thanks to some very helpful hints from users here at Sb, I managed to shed 3lbs of weight from my checkout dives last week (dropped to 18# of lead....think I might be able to shed more).

Water temp at the surface was a balmy 67 degrees, somewhat cool and refreshing. Visibility was about 10-15'...until my fins mucked it up a bit. Thermocline found at about 15' when the temp dropped steeply to 57. Entering the thermocline made me wish I had donned my hood as the cold was very uncomfortable hitting my skull. Most of the dive was in the 15'-10' range as there were more fish in the warmer, weedier water. Just by looking at the plant life, I could tell where the thermocline was located. Saw some bass and bluegill. The fish were shy, but friendly enough to pose for some pictures.

While swimming around, we found a sunken car which was very rusted, as well as an old school bus. Although campers at the park often fish in the lake, I didn't see any fishing line waiting to entangle me. However, one cool find (at least for 5 seconds) was what appeared to be a handle of a very large dive knife sticking out of the sand. When I grabbed it, I realized it was my own knife that had fallen out of the sheath. I put the knife back in the sheath, but as luck would have it, the knife had found it's way to the bottom again as it fell out of the sheath again. I bought it on eBay for only $11 so no big loss. But if anyone dives at Sunset and finds a blunt tip knife, black handle, with one side serrated and other side sharp you know where it came from :)

My trim wasn't too bad, although I found myself trying to steer and paddle with my hands at times.

A shallow but enjoyable dive. Would've gone deeper to see what was there with more exposure protection. I guess it gives me a reason to go back.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first dive. I went yesterday to Blue Springs. The temp was 42 degrees at 40ft. Diving around 25 ft was slightly warmer:D I hate diving with a hood and cannot wait to take it off this summer.

How is bluesprings? I'll probably make it out there soon. What types of things are there to see? Vis?

BS cost 20 bucks to dive. They have several areas to set up your gear. I feel like the north shore is nicer. They only have port-a-lets:shakehead . Also remember to bring your drinks and food. The vis this weekend was around 15ft. Things to see include several boats, van, suv, coffin, dentist chair, bowling ball (careful :wink: ) and several other things. Nice place to get some dive time in. Hopefully we will see you out in our area soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom