Sunken plane to surface after 50 years in a Quebec lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad part is that at the depth most divers would leave it alone. Those that wouldn't would know enough to not get hurt.

I hate it when governments try to save me from myself.

The US Navy sank a Guppy sub intentionally in 130 for training purposes about 30 years ago. After 10 years or so when they no longer used it, the state of Hawaii asked them to raise it and re-sink it in deep water to prevent divers from diving on it and possibly getting bent. That was a total lack of fore sight and was totally out of sync with current reefing programs.

The other sad thing about this is that an aircraft in deep, cold, fresh water with low dissolved O2 levels will stay nicely fairly well preserved for at least a century. I am guessing since it is being done by PSD's and not by commercial divers that there is no intent to raise it in a manner that will make restoration possible.

If they raise that plane, why dont they raise all wrecks below 130' in the great lakes :shakehead:

I believe the provincial police wants to do a publicity stunt about it. They said it was the deepest dive in the history of this police corps. 150' is not that deep if well trained and equiped!

It's a shame for the wreck but it's also a good thing for the families of the deceased to finally make closure with all this

I remember something about an old car (read model-t era) that went off a cliff. Nobody knew where the car was and so on. Somebody ended up finding it and the first thing they wanted to do was raise it. The families of the victims raised all kinds of hell and they left it. The bodies were taken out of course but the car was left. Thought that was pretty cool.

Yes, a Republic Seebee has a very large door to the cabin, removing the remains and leaving the aircraft would not be a problem.

Interesting article....please follow-up with any further post dive details on this story.

most of the articles are in french but here are some details:

there were 4 victims of the crash, 2 of them were found outside the plane and 2 were/are believed to still be inside.

the 2 outside victims were brought to the surface in near skeletal condition. They are trying to lift the plane with the 2 remaining bodies inside.

For years, they were called the ghosts of the lake. Then a local recreational diver found the plane. The police took charge of the recovery and from recommendations of the coroner, they decided to lift the plane so no diver would risk their lives diving it. :shakehead:

more to come...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom