Sunday's (July 4) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan,

When you are actually diving does it appear with the naked eye to look like the original picture or the processed one? And would a LC100 help to bring out the colors/look in cracks during a bright daylight dive or is it totally not necessary?

Aaron (who will be Diving in Maui in Aug so he looks at your pictures every day)

Yes, the clarity is pretty much the same as on both original and post-edited pics. The editing involves tweaking the sharpness and adjusting the colors somewhat. Most of what I photograph I find with the naked eye. I do have a small dive light hanging on my anchor line if I need it. I don't think you need a bright light here on day dives. The horizontal vis is usually 100 ft + on most days. A small light is good for looking into holes and crevices. I use the focus light on the strobe for that. I just don't want to carry any more stuff than I need. I have the camera in one hand and the kayak anchor in the other when I am drifting.
Don't forget the reefs here are mostly patch reefs unless you are hugging the shoreline or at Molokini.

PS: Be careful in your selection of dive operators when you come to Maui. A few are good and many are not.

Gilligan:
I have the camera in one hand and the kayak anchor in the other when I am drifting.

Hi Gilligan,

How hard it is to drag around your kayak while diving? Isn't that inconvinience for you?

The vis on your dives and the stuff you see and photograph I really envy.

Thanks for posting the before and after processing photos. Pretty amazing how a soft picture can be sharpened and color/contrast adjusted to bring out something more pleasing to the eye.

Newtodive -- I can't speak for Gilligan on the kayak towing, but I have a PADI certification for kayak diving (thanks to some inspiration from Gilligan's kayak website) and, no, it's not that much of a hassle to tow a kayak while diving. But I go in relatively calm seas and little wind. I would say that it takes a gentle tug to tow two kayaks tied to each other on the surface. Add some wind and chop, and the effort goes up, but I wouldn't put in during bad conditions like that.

newtodive,
Like marpacifica stated, it is not difficult to tow the kayak(s). I put in at about 8:30am and am back on shore about 10 or 10:30 before the Tradewinds come up. I don't try and tow against the current as that is too exhausting and not necessary.
Every now and then I get caught in the Trade's upon surfacing, if they come up very early. That makes for a quick breakdown and storage of gear along with a choppy paddle back to shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom