Sunday's (2/22) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's dive was on the "St. Anthony", a fishing boat wreck at 65 feet.

The Wreck.
022204d.jpg

Manual Mode, F5.0, 1/60, Manual WB, No Strobes, WAL

Green Sea Turtle a/k/a "Stumpy", a regular inhabitant of the wreck.
(did a Tiger Shark get it's missing flipper?)
022204a.jpg

Manual Mode, F3.5 Macro, 1/40, Manual WB, No Strobes, WAL

Scribbled Filefish:
022204b.jpg

Manual Mode, F6.3 Macro, 1/80, External Strobe, WAL

Whitetip Reef Shark
Chilling out under the wreck
022204c.jpg

Manual Mode, F5.0, 1/60, External Strobe, WAL

Great pictures as yours always are! What are the things on the bottom by the wreck? Keep it up and you'll force me to come out there and dive.

Joe

Joe..those look like tires. I'll bet there all kinds of neat stuff living in there!

More Great pics, Jim. :thumb:

Dee, they look like the rollers on a conveyor to a rock crusher to me but you could be right.

Joe

I mist admit the State of Hawaii sank numerous sets of tires imbedded in concrete footings to act as an artificial reef. They did this many years ago and long before they sank the St. Anthony. Divers dubbed it the "Uniroyal Reef", the "Goodyear Reef", etc. They were dumped in an area that had only a sandy bottom.
Personally, I think it was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen used as an artificial reef. Hardly any coral grows on them.
Directly West of the St. Anthony at about 75 feet are the remains of car wrecks that were sank, possibly by the State. There is nothing left of them but a few steering wheels protruding out of the sand. I'll have to get some pics of them next time I dive the St. Anthony.

Great Pics yet again!

We have a tire artificial reef here in the PNW. The one I dive most of the time is Langley, Whidbey Island. It has brought a great variety of marine life there. This past yr a couple of octopuses have moved in. Next time i'm there I will snap some pics.

Nothing like the real deal but it has sufficed me until I can get to somewhere tropical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom