Sunday's (11/30) Maui dive photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great, as always! Do all emjpty sea urchins look like that? I have one, we call them sea biscuits, and I always wondered how related they are to sand dollars.

Dee - Not sure about their connection to Sand Dollars which I also find here but they are flatter. I have never seen one of these alive as they live under the sand and only surface as empty shells (a/k/a empty tests). I did once find what I believed to be a "recent kill" as it still had some of the hair like spines on it. These are extremely brittle and usually break when picked up. Notice this one has a hole in it. I did't even touch it, just photographed it. I have collected a few. One was the size of a softball and I aborted my dive to bring it up. Months later my cat knocked it off the shelf. Grrrrrrrrrrrr ;-0

JpinAZ - Thanks for the fish ID. I suspected that's what it was but the Hoover Hawaii Fish Book has some real crappy photos that are so dark I can't tell what they are for comparison purposes. Pauline Severns of Mike Severns Diving is a marine biologist and ID's anything for me that I can't. I was waiting for her e mail response before naming it on the photo.

Gilligan once bubbled...
I suspected that's what it was but the Hoover Hawaii Fish Book has some real crappy photos that are so dark I can't tell what they are for comparison purposes.

I tend to use "Reef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific" by Allen, Steene, Humann, and Deloach...

~Matt Segal

Nice pic of the wrasse. I pretty much give up on taking picture of fish (unless it is one of those that perches on a rock). It is a good thing I am shooting digital so I don't have to pay developing cost and film cost just to get a shot of fish's butt :)

Back
Top Bottom