Sunday Report: Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off, I did see the incident with the unconscious diver this morning. I didn't want to rubberneck, so I kept my distance, but I did hear claps and cheers coming from the rescuers at some point, and confirmed that they successfully revived the diver (thank goodness!). And the paramedics were on the scene within minutes of the initial call...I guess if an incident is going to happen, there aren't many better/more prepared places than the Breakwater!

With that said, I had a great, hour-long dive with UTD's Andrew Georgitsis. Don was taking an OW student out for her final checkout dive, so he paired up Andrew and me (which was a great experience for me, and probably a meh one for him :wink:). Andrew was flying his MC90, which was a really, really slick setup. It took all of 30 seconds to explain the rebreather and differences in air share against normal DIR OC (short story, there's almost none - you signal OOG, the loop goes OC and you get a long hose).

The Breakwater was flat and the sun was out, but the viz was about 12-15 at depth. We scootered out to the Metridium Fields, and then to the end of the Breakwater Wall. IMO, the Met Field has got to be one of my favorite low-viz dive sites. You're focused on boulders no more than 10 feet across, and then easily jump to different patches about 15-20 feet from each other. It really helps keep you in a "macro" mindframe.

There were thousands of sea nettles out, big, medium, small...dodging them is pretty easy, but on a scooter in low viz they come at you FAST! We zigged and zagged so much that I completely lost track of my direction a number of times. Eventually we just hugged the floor, staying 2-3 feet from the bottom where there were fewer.

One big mea culpa: while along the wall, we passed a couple of groups of OW divers. Being a scooter neophyte, I'm pretty sure (as in 100% certain) that I whacked someone really good with my fin as I hit the trigger. So if there's a report about "some $*@&$ doubles/RB divers with scooters cutting off and ramming into people," it was probably me. :doh2:

My camera likes to make green water even more green. Strangely, it makes blue water more blue too. I think they call it "Sony color." Bleh.

Hey Ken,

Did you finally go out and buy a scooter? If so, which one did you get?

MG

Nice video.

Isn't it nice when you can toss someone a scooter and just hit the trigger and go? :wink:

Well, this time around it was more like toss a scooter, hit someone, and go :)

But yeah, this dive really exemplified what I absolutely love about a standardized system. After spending 2-3 minutes determining a dive plan, RB, etc., I could jump in the water with someone I have never dived with before, who is using a rebreather, and still instantly be on the same page, and do a dive in exactly the same way and with the same comfort as I would have have with a buddy I've dived with 100 times.

Hey Ken,

Did you finally go out and buy a scooter? If so, which one did you get?

MG

Nah, no $$$ for a scooter right now. I bummed my ride off of generous friends for the day, but I had to promise to wash and wax it when I returned it :)

Great video Kenn thanks for sharing! Love the scooters!
Looks like a fun day ;-).

Went out Saturday but now wish I had stayed for Sunday as well - never can get enough diving ;-).

But yeah, this dive really exemplified what I absolutely love about a standardized setup. After spending 2-3 minutes determining a dive plan, RB, etc., I could jump in the water with someone I have never dived with before, using a rebreather, and still instantly be on the same page, and do a dive in exactly the same way and with the same comfort as I would have have with a buddy I've dived with 100 times.

Ah that will be nice! I can't wait to synch up :).

Thanks for the dive report :)

So when was it you were selling everything not related to scuba and purchasing a scooter?

My scooter goes on pretty much ever dive unless we are using the Zodiac. Dives are more fun with a scooter aren't they?

Hey Kenn,

After I finish my UTD classes I hope to start looking at scooters, would like to own my very own scooter and explore my shore diving. I do more shore diving than boat diving and find that a scooter would be nice.

Besides, every diver at Pt Lobos has a scooter, and when they come out of the water they are always smiling, why is that?

MG

Whose chopper is this?

It's Zed's.

Who's Zed?

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom