Sun Dancer II and Placenicia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for anyone that has info, does the Sun Dancer II head out to Lighthouse or does it stay more to the south on its trips? From the map on their website, it looks like it stays a little more south but the trip advertises itself as Lighthouse/Turneffe.

Kicking around the idea of trying to marry up a liveaboard with a side trip to Placencia to try my luck at spotting a whale shark that isn't in an aquarium. Not sure it will entirely work out since it looks like the liveaboards will be out during the full moons in May and June. Any recommendations for dive ops and places to stay in Placencia? Most likely traveling solo, nobody seems to get this obsession of mine:idk:

The operators to sound out in Placencia are Seahorse, Avadon and Splash. Can't recommend places to stay, but they should be able to help you.

We didn't get there (maybe next year) but liked the looks of Belize Beach Resorts- Laru Beya - Splash can book a package thru them that includes picking you up daily. Even includes airport transfers IIRC.

I can't help with liveaboards, but I dived in Placencia last summer with Splash for two weeks and had a great time. I stayed in a cabana at Diannis Guest House, located in the village just off the beach. Splash has a beachfront office in the village, but the dive shop is just up the road so they use a shuttle van for pick up and drop off. Avadon is slightly further out of town, so I'm sure they must use a shuttle van also. Somehow, I never saw Sea Horse.

Accomodations range from budget, like Diannis, to ultra expensive, like Francis Ford Coppolas' Turtle Inn. As you might expect, Diannis was nothing fancy but the cabana was very clean, the bed was comfortable and it was within minutes of walking distance pretty much everywhere.

Placencia is a great jumping off point to explore southern Belize, so I'm likely to do it all over again next summer.

Both the liveaboards go to the same area every trip out.
There is very little variation since their operating area is limited by their operating license with the government in Belize.
At least that was what the crew told me when I dove with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom