Suit for Sydney: Online purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a new member of a marine research lab.

So far I have decided to buy a regs/BC computer package through Scubatoys, but have done a few research dives using borrowed gear. As such I've been using a fairly worn 7mm farmer john suit which I'm not a fan of. It's restrictive, bouyant and lets a regular blast of cold water run right down my back. Brrrr.

We're diving on the coast of NSW, Australia. The water temp is between 15-25 degrees C (60-80 degrees F). I'm male, 5'10", 60kg (130lbs) with a 30" waist and a 36" chest (yes I'm built like a scarecrow).

I initally decided to buy a suit locally, but after visiting 4 local dive stores I have discovered that:

a) the rrp prices here are on average 200% of the online prices I've seen (big consideration for a student)

b) the local stores are resentful of me diving with the university. In fact when one shop guy asked where I was doing my future cert. and I replied I could do them at university and have them covered as course costs he replied "Well, you get what you pay for." Which doesn't instill me with a wealth of customer loyalty.

So, I am thinking about simply buying a suit online. Hwever, the large downside being I wouldn't get to try it on. So far, I've sort of decided to investigate the Bare Velocity 7/6, the Henderson hyperstretch equivalent, a Mares Isotherm (if I can get ahold of a suitably sized one) or a combination of 2 suits.

I guess I'm asking: Am I likely to get a well fitting suit easily, or am I in the wierd shape catergory for divers and need to look at finding a better store or a custom suit? Am I looking at the right thickness given my build and the water temps I'll be diving in and c) Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

Thanks.

I have the same problem (but I live in the Netherlands). I am set on getting a Henderson Hyperstretch suit, but they don't sell them in Europe. So I contacted Crazyscuba.com and gave them my measurements. They recommended me a size and I'm going to order it from them soon, even though it will cost me a lot extra for shipping.

If I get the suit, I'll let you know how it went (if the fit is right and the suit is any good). Up untill now the folks at crazyscuba have been more than helpful.

While I can't help you with sizing or which suit to get I would suggest you check with the Department of International Trade in Canberra to see what the import duties on scuba gear will cost you before you buy from an overseas source.

It would be a shame to buy something from the US or Europe and then find out you will be paying more in import duties than you would have paid if you just bought it locally.

You need to get a Henderson Hyperstretch, small, according to the sizing you listed. The other brands stretch but not as much as the Henderson (250%), and they don't have the Titanium for added heat reflection. We've fit several people built like you and the Henderson Hyperstretch worked out great. It's a fantastic suit and well worth the cost for the benefits and fit.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mens_5mm.cfm

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Arete:

So far I have decided to buy a regs/BC computer package through Scubatoys, but have done a few research dives using borrowed gear. As such I've been using a fairly worn 7mm farmer john suit which I'm not a fan of. It's restrictive, bouyant and lets a regular blast of cold water run right down my back. Brrrr.

We're diving on the coast of NSW, Australia. The water temp is between 15-25 degrees C (60-80 degrees F). I'm male, 5'10", 60kg (130lbs) with a 30" waist and a 36" chest (yes I'm built like a scarecrow).

I initally decided to buy a suit locally, but after visiting 4 local dive stores I have discovered that:

a) the rrp prices here are on average 200% of the online prices I've seen (big consideration for a student)

b) the local stores are resentful of me diving with the university. In fact when one shop guy asked where I was doing my future cert. and I replied I could do them at university and have them covered as course costs he replied "Well, you get what you pay for." Which doesn't instill me with a wealth of customer loyalty.

So, I am thinking about simply buying a suit online. Hwever, the large downside being I wouldn't get to try it on. So far, I've sort of decided to investigate the Bare Velocity 7/6, the Henderson hyperstretch equivalent, a Mares Isotherm (if I can get ahold of a suitably sized one) or a combination of 2 suits.

I guess I'm asking: Am I likely to get a well fitting suit easily, or am I in the wierd shape catergory for divers and need to look at finding a better store or a custom suit? Am I looking at the right thickness given my build and the water temps I'll be diving in and c) Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks.
I think your were wise to buy your gear from
Scubatoys. I went through this same decision-making process early this year. I was certified in Sydney in January, and had no plans to buy gear until I saw how much cheaper it was in the US. I try to support the LDS, but gear is at LEAST 3X the cost in Sydney as in US-based online sources.

I analyzed gear using Scubaboard as a primary info source and wound up buying most of it from Scubatoys. Two countervailing forces to consider with overseas orders:

1-The more you buy at one time, the lower the shipping cost per item. (There is some economy of scale)

2-If each order is valued at AU $1,000 or LESS, there is no import duty applied.

I placed several orders of about US $750 each and had no issues with tax or duties.

Scubatoys has loads of experience with international shipping and will make amends if the screw anything up. I bought BC, reg, computer, two wetsuits and loads of miscellanous stuff from them. Don't forget the small stuff when placing your order. A torch that costs $100 in Sydney costs $25 in the US and will add little to the total shipping expense.

I have two Bare westsuits, a 5mm Velocity for summer and a 7mm Alpine Hooded for winter. Great suits, good prices and they come in a million sizes. Look at their sizing charts and buy the size SMALLER than you think you need. The Scubatoys guys offer good advice.

And give me a holler if you want to dive sometime!!!

Arete:

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, you can also get the full core combo in Hyperstretch
(http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mens_hyperstretch_full.cfm)
if you think you'll want to layer or have the option to wear your suit in 3 different combinations, or the step in combo if you're needing more warmth with multiple options for suit combinations and styles:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mens_hyperstretch_stepin.cfm

These combinations offer a great deal a versatility, FLEXIBILTY and better fit, especially for someone with your body build.

BTW-It's a shame how your LDS has treated you. We're all in this scuba world together, they shouldn't be turning people off of scuba because you're training somewhere else. Good luck in your training and adventures! :dance:

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Thanks everyone for the help, this board is great :)
My DSO at University tells me a 5mm two piece is "perfect" so I am thinking a 5mm Hyperstretch with a core warmer will be an adequate equivalent.

My other expensive hobby (cycling) has very similar issues LBS/LDS vs online etc as well as customs, so I am very familiar with the expected costs with importation of equipment. My attitude with bikes is if I know exactly what I want, I get a price online, call the bike sotre, let them know the price and see what they can do. More often than not it a case of "not a lot mate, we understand if you get it online" so I buy online. If I have to try it out at the LBS, I buy it there. I buy consumables at the bike store. I guess it will be similar with Scuba if I find a shop I like.

I was pretty disappointed with the few LDS I went into, though I have encountered similar attitudes in high end bike stores, luckily I've found one of those with pretty cool staff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom