Suit for mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rds912

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta in Aug and was wondering what type of suit to use that time of year there.
Thanks

According to the Lonely Planet Baja California Diving/Snorkeling guide, water temperatures in Cabo in summer will be in the low 80's at the surface. August is summer.

You'll have to figure out what your comfort zone is for low 80's surface; probably 10-15 F cooler at depth. I think warm-blooded folks would be ok in a shorty; and colder-blooded people would want a 3mm full or a 3/2 two piece.

We're going next week and taking 5mm two pieces (probably only wear one of the two pieces).

I just got back from Cozumel 2 weeks ago and water temps were in the low 80's even at depth. No temp changes as you descend at all. Everyone in my group wore different things, depends on you and how chilled you get. I would have been fine in a 3 mil but on suggestion by my LDS brought my old worn Henderson Hyperstretch that used to be a 7/5 and is now more like a 5/2 or even lower. I was more than warm enough. Wished I had brought my 3 mil. Others went in with 3 mil shorties and were fine, others wore 5 mil and were fine. I think it depends you you, you know how chilled you get, base it on that. Hope this helps!

rds912:
I am going to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta in Aug and was wondering what type of suit to use that time of year there.
Thanks

Mexico is really casual, you don't need a suit, even in the fanciest places. :wink:
Kidding, what hdtran said

:lol3:

Remember, this is the Pacific side, not the Caribbean side of Mexico.
I was in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta at the end of March. Both were rather cold. I brought a 7mm suit and a hooded vest (we did Catalina on the same cruise), and a 4/3 wetsuit. At depth in PV I was COLD with the 4/3, as was the DM. Water temp at the surface was 70ish, but it dropped off fast. You could always take a thin suit and stick the hooded vest in your bag, just in case.
Now Cabo was cold. I wore a 7mm and hooded vest. The water temp at depth near Los Arcos was 58 deg. I don't recall what it was at the surface though. Granted, the time of year is different, but Cabo gets the Pacific current, and that stays cold pretty much all year long (at depth). And the DM had on a 7mm suit and hooded vest too, FWIW.
Pack a couple of suits just in case; it's better to be a little warm than too cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom