Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has nothing to do with protecting anyone.

Agency means that one is acting as a agent of another. Legally not an easy thing to prove and each case must be taken on a case by case basis.

Does PADI have moral responsibility here, yes (again assuming the allegations are true). Was snow legally acting as an agent of PADI, maybe but very likely not.

Up next, Agency, at law, has nothing to do with “quality assurance” programs or advertising privileges- if that were the basis for agency claims liability would exist for just about every medical, real estate, architecture, engineering, and law board in the nation because of malpractice by professionals - here’s a hint….there has never been any such agency found… none….

That was ages ago.

Arizona on a medical case regarding a person who did sign that they understood doctor as not an agent that is recent where appeal court held that signature meant something (which speaks to all the material from PADI regards agency of instructors obviously)

That was ages ago.

Arizona on a medical case regarding a person who did sign that they understood doctor as not an agent that is recent where appeal court held that signature meant something (which speaks to all the material from PADI regards agency of instructors obviously)

Again- this is a great example of what modern agency law in application looks like.

in order to find any connection in that case a specific federal law on the relationship of the doctor and hospital provided an ENTERPRISE connection but not an Agency one. The court rightly reasons that the claim of agency cannot stand in the case of independent contractor agreements- regardless of the supervision, regulation and payments between the parties.

agency law is long established and has defined criteria that this case cannot surmount in reasonable jurisprudenc.

You seem a little overwrought here.
I was just asking a question.
And, yes! I DO acknowledge that finding 'agency' here may doom much of our currently unregulated industry. And I acknowledge that the waivers we all sign specifically state that PADI is not an agent. Yet how do they claim oversight? Even if in the case cited there were no prior incidents? PADI has no oversight program that might have prevented this. There is no ongoing inspection of the performance of instructors.
It's a Catch-22, I grant you. But that doesn't mean that PADI is innocent, given all its claims of excellence.
Yet, it's fair to say that instructors are underpaid for the risk, technicians are undertrained for their repairs, and fortunately, the deaths don't currently seem to exceed the median for other activities. So I guess we're okay.

Except that this death was completely avoidable, but for some basic adherence to standards.

I guess the real question is, where does the responsibility lie? I don't think PADI escapes responsibility, given all the claims it makes about "its instructors".

Maybe they escape legally, but not morally, in my world. But my world is not your world. Yet I'll keep mine, thank you very much.
I’m stating facts, pointing out the law and folks like you don’t seem to accept the reality.

over and over “how can there not be agency when PADI does X” and over and over I explain that is NOT how agency is determined. Medical boards, architectural boards, law boards, hospitals all have oversight, guidelines rules, discipline their independent contractors… yet the law is clear- there is NO agency between them.

if PADI standards were followed by snow- Mills would be alive. If Mills followed her training and rules she was taught- she would be alive.

none of this stems from a defect in the standards or training material produced by PADI- ergo PADI is not legally responsible. Blather on about “moral responsibility“ all you want- that’s neither a legal argument nor practical under these circumstances- and your sarcastic initial statement belies the inherent bias in your position.

you are unwilling to be swayed by the facts or the law- because you have a predetermined take on this - no matter how wrong you are. You make just so statements like “numerous prior incidents” and then when that’s proven wrong you move the goalpost to “what oversight do they have to prevent this”… you keep doubling down on your conclusion despite the facts.

have at it- but all you are doing is looking like you either can’t understand an easily explained legal principle or are unwilling to accept the facts…

That was ages ago.

And shame on NAUI back then for retroactively insuring an instructor and certifying a class when someone was out of teaching status when they conducted it. But it was the 1990s when the lawsuit craze was just starting to deepen…

@Omisson , you didn't answer my question.
Yes, I moved the goalpost when you pointed out that the prior case wasn't prior.
And yes, I think I understand the huge nature of what a finding of agency would do to us (not to mention PADI).
But you are ignoring my question.
How can one claim the degree of oversight that PADI advertising materials imply with regard to shop adherence to standards and instructor excellence without agency? It would seem that the judge recognises the murkiness here; hence his ruling. And PADI will settle but the matter will not be settled.

If you don't monitor your instructors, don't imply that you do. Sell your instruction packages and leave it at that.

over and over “how can there not be agency when PADI does X” and over and over I explain that is NOT how agency is determined. Medical boards, architectural boards, law boards, hospitals all have oversight, guidelines rules, discipline their independent contractors… yet the law is clear- there is NO agency between them.
You stated the facts of the current legal situation with regard to agency, and I see the parallel you are trying to draw. But if I screw up in the hospital enough times, the medical staff or the medical board will take action, because I am watched.
PADI says it watches, advertises that it watches, but the egregious occurrences here suggest it does not. Could this particular death have been prevented without priors? Perhaps not. But if we, as instructors, knew that we were monitored, we would probably not deviate from standards as often as we do.

Maybe there's no agency, and maybe you are legally right. But the reason one sees the outcry is frustration over the fact that the PADI big dog "lays down the law" in a fashion that is unresponsive to the needs of instructors to be able to teach safely, make a living and not get fired for inadequate peoductivity. DSD ratios haven't changed. OOA ascent training is still almost impossible to conduct and stay in standards.

Your all-knowing attitude as this case is debated does little to advance the discussion.
We don't want to be told, "There is no agency, so be quiet." We want to debate how to prevent the next case like this, whether through a finding of possible agency and a change in how standards are monitored, or some other approach. PADI having to answer to this in court might have been the first step. But it won't happen.

@Omisson , you didn't answer my question.
Yes, I moved the goalpost when you pointed out that the prior case wasn't prior.
And yes, I think I understand the huge nature of what a finding of agency would do to us (not to mention PADI).
But you are ignoring my question.

no I did not ignore it. You just don’t like the answer.
How can one claim the degree of oversight that PADI advertising materials imply with regard to shop adherence to standards and instructor excellence without agency? It would seem that the judge recognises the murkiness here; hence his ruling. And PADI will settle but the matter will not be settled.
no the judge said this is a fact issue first. There are currently no “facts” in the case because there has been no significant “discovery” - the legal process pre-trial hasn’t developed.

If you don't monitor your instructors, don't imply that you do. Sell your instruction packages and leave it at that.

you are conflating issues. Medical licensing boards do all the things you say makes agency. Hospital committees do likewise, no agency. Law boards do likewise- no agency.
You stated the facts of the current legal situation with regard to agency, and I see the parallel you are trying to draw. But if I screw up in the hospital enough times, the medical staff or the medical board will take action, because I am watched.

so again “screw up…enough times”…. Again NOT THE CASE HERE. You are creating straw man arguments.

PADI says it watches, advertises that it watches, but the egregious occurrences here suggest it does not. Could this particular death have been prevented without priors? Perhaps not. But if we, as instructors, knew that we were monitored, we would probably not deviate from standards as often as we do.

Once again you are just making things up. There is ONE incident here- no notice of prior “bad acts”. So how does this incident suggest PADI doesn’t follow up on quality management issues? And moreover, isolate incidents do not make the pattern you are pretending exists…. The reality is there have been very very few instructor lead deaths in training PERIOD. You can count them on one hand in the last 10 years. In fact you can count diver deaths -as DAN has pointed out across ALL AGENCIES and find the EXACT SAME MORBIDITY RATE - 14 per 100,000 of which 1/3 are pre-existing conditions, 45% are diver error and 3% are “acts of god”- leaving a whopping 3 deaths per 100,000 POSSIBLY ascribable TO INSTRUCTOR “error”. As the statistics point out, golf, swimming, jogging, tennis…operating a car all have between 12-14 deaths per operator/participant. So what “crisis” are you talking about? Basically one that doesn’t exist.
Maybe there's no agency, and maybe you are legally right. But the reason one sees the outcry is frustration over the fact that the PADI big dog "lays down the law" in a fashion that is unresponsive to the needs of instructors to be able to teach safely, make a living and not get fired for inadequate peoductivity. DSD ratios haven't changed. OOA ascent training is still almost impossible to conduct and stay in standards.
DSD ratios haven’t changed? Ratios did change (from 6:1 to 4:1 around 2001), and then came an amendment that prevented the guiding instructor from taking photos while supervising his 4:1 participants. Then PADI also set limits of 2:1 when young children are involved (10-11). Now some people want lower ratios (2:1 or eliminate DSD completely) but interestingly -lowering ratios didn’t radically impact the number of diver incidents with DSD; but the overall trend has been a minimal lowering of deaths for the last 30 years to a norm that is all but statistically insignificant- see the attached table below.

Your all-knowing attitude as this case is debated does little to advance the discussion.
We don't want to be told, "There is no agency, so be quiet." We want to debate how to prevent the next case like this, whether through a finding of possible agency and a change in how standards are monitored, or some other approach. PADI having to answer to this in court might have been the first step. But it won't happen.
Again- here in a nutshell is the whole problem. You don’t like the facts- you don’t want to accept the actual data- because it conflicts with your predetermined premise: PADI BAD. I’m not “all knowing” but I’ll be damned if you telling fake stories to bolster a wrong opinion gets to go unchallenged. You’ve admitted already to moving goalposts- that says everything we need to know about the ”honesty” of your debate here.

Preventing “the next case like this” means either we do away with modern “open diving to everyone” philosophy and revert to the 1970’s approach -basically only fit males with strong endurance, swimming skills, and a willingness to endure the rigors of old school scuba are the divers - or we allow some nanny-state governmental take over of the industry and let them regulate and issue “licenses” - cause the government has done such a a great job with everything they do….yea right. So realistically neither is a workable solution.

No matter how you try to twist the facts to make it amenable to your PADI BAD philosophy, this case is not about PADI training and standards. IF the instructor had followed them there would not have been a death. It’s not about training, IF Mills would have followed the training she had -especially the elearning she was given- this wouldn’t have happened. If not for the shop’s criminal trespass in a federal park violating their rules for diving- there would likely have been no incident.

If anyone is “worked up” it’s you- your “righteous indignation” is based on a set of unrealistic expectations, using fake facts, that you have to keep backtracking on- and emotion to inject whataboutisms into an objectively explainable tragedy that is squarely the instructor’s fault- but indicative of no systemic issue. There will always be bad guys. Always people willing to cut corners. The question is - what can any agency do to ensure better quality instructors and then maintain those instructor’s “frosty-ness”.

Periodic instructor reviews? And then when PADI charges for that- your crowd cries “see PADI is all about the money”… when they charge for better quality more detailed elearning - suddenly they are “put another dollar in”… it’s a joke how you guys want it both ways… DO MORE…CHARGE LESS. Really? Is that how ANYTHING works?

I know you are going to come up with some other new things to spin and rationalize the absurd position you are taking to feed your ant-PADI angst- but if you take a moment to be objective - since I’ve answered all your questions, answer mine:

what could PADI have done differently in THIS case given the facts as we know them that would have changed the outcome?

what good will come to the dive industry by a finding of agency here?

what will the likely consequence be to the industry if agency is found?

do you believe other agencies (not PADI) are in the same, better or worse position on these issues?

I’ll wait for your well-informed responses……

Attachments

• B823E0A0-1F38-4E98-84BF-D58EF50E0C4A.gif
    B823E0A0-1F38-4E98-84BF-D58EF50E0C4A.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 63
DSD ratios haven’t changed? Ratios did change (from 6:1 to 4:1 around 2001), and then came an amendment that prevented the guiding instructor from taking photos while supervising his 4:1 participants. Then PADI also set limits of 2:1 when young children are involved (10-11). Now some people want lower ratios (2:1 or eliminate DSD completely) but interestingly -lowering ratios didn’t actually change the number of diver incidents with DSD; see the attached table below.
Huh? That is a significant improvement regards DSD in the table you posted. Now, in the bigger deaths in DSD versus deaths in other activities you may not consider it significant.

if PADI standards were followed by snow- Mills would be alive. If Mills followed her training and rules she was taught- she would be alive.
This is an assumption that Snow knew the standards. You are making gross assumptions about Mills training and what she was taught.

While each individual is always responsible for themselves, there is frequently a dismissal by instructors/dive centers of standards ("you don't need to know that"). Customers see instructors as the expert. That doesn't absolve customers of responsibility, but the reality is that it does impact dive safety.

I'm pretty sure I know how you are going to react this comment.

Let’s be clear-you lost the argument THEN you decided to then move the goal post. I gave an analogy- you didn’t object- and when the facts didn’t work- you change the parameters.

It’s not the complexity that is the issue. It’s the law of Agency. You want it to be PADI’s fault. So you keep trying to invent ways to find them liable- despite precedent and common sense.

Lets explore your “deaths from diving” is instructor/training agency negligence claim… statistically it’s not- at all.

First according to DAN stats there are a host of medical condition related deaths (33%) Take those out. Then there are diver errors (45%) take those out. Equipment failures, (8%) Finally the ”other” category: shark attack, run over by boat, undeserved DCS hit, etc (3%) ….. So that leaves 1% of diver deaths during instruction that are presumed to be related to instructor error….. that amounts to .25 deaths in 14, of 100,000 divers. See a problem with your premise yet?

so no, both the analogy and conclusion holds. It’s your perspective that doesn’t.
You seem to think this is about winning. There is no winning for anyone here. This is more of a discussion in my view. The winning is what takes place in the courtroom.

You can say the deaths from dive training are insignificant. I wouldn't say that to the friends and family of the deceased. However, that doesn't mean that changes to the system cannot be made to make the number of deaths even more "insignificant."

And if you think this is my Quixotic quest against PADI, you are wrong. Some PADI folks come to that conclusion when their identity is so close to their agency, something I will never understand. For me, it is about the industry reforming, taking any situation into how can we improve? As we can improve.

I will go back and look at DAN reports to see if they cover the deaths for which I'm aware. It is my understanding (I am not claiming this as fact) but DAN tosses out incidents that they don't have all the information. DAN is not an authority to overrule privacy laws, so my guess is that negligence training deaths would be underrepresented.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom