Suggestions on opening and closing the posts valve drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merlino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

long-time lurker here, have never posted before but always read the forum with much enjoyment. I'm now hoping someone can help me out.

I'm a GUE Fundies Rec pass working my way towards a Tech pass, including practicing the valve drill. I have no trouble reaching my valves, and I have no trouble closing the right post and opening the left post (essentially the same motion). I also have no trouble opening/closing the isolator manifold.

What I'm having trouble with is opening my right post and closing my left (which is the same motion, and in the opposite direction from closing right & opening left). I've read a lot of tips on the valve drill, but this part never seems to get addressed.

Does anyone have specific tips on this topic? If there are any topics already covering this part, I humbly ask to be pointed in the right direction :)

Thanks very much! Merlino

How do you move the rubber knob? Is it a motion of your wrist while your fingers remain more or less static, or is it a motion of your fingers with the wrist remaining more or less static? Whichever it is, maybe try tbe other option?

If it is primarily a motion with the fingers (which I prefer btw), pay attention to which fingers do the work. If closing the right valve works for you, which fingers do the work: is it the index/middle fingers pulling or the thumb pushing? One explanation could be that in order to manipulate your valves (either actually or at least in your mind), you feel the need to pull the manifold/knob forward with your index/middle fingers. This type of motion would support closing a right valve and opening a left one. But if you rely on it, it would be hard to go the other way. Maybe try paying attention to this, and either stop the habit (of pulling the knob forward) or adjust something else if you cannot reach the valves otherwise.

This something else could be more horizontal or even slightly head down trim, loseing shoulder straps a little, bringing your elbow closer to your ear, etc

Finally, try asking a buddy to video you with a closeup of the valve manipulation. This might explain what is going on, or make it easier for us to point you in the right direction.

If it is primarily a motion with the fingers (which I prefer btw), pay attention to which fingers do the work. If closing the right valve works for you, which fingers do the work: is it the index/middle fingers pulling or the thumb pushing? One explanation could be that in order to manipulate your valves (either actually or at least in your mind), you feel the need to pull the manifold/knob forward with your index/middle fingers. This type of motion would support closing a right valve and opening a left one. But if you rely on it, it would be hard to go the other way. Maybe try paying attention to this, and either stop the habit (of pulling the knob forward) or adjust something else if you cannot reach the valves otherwise.

This something else could be more horizontal or even slightly head down trim, loseing shoulder straps a little, bringing your elbow closer to your ear, etc

Thanks, it is definitely the first in that when I close right post I clearly pull with my fingers and push with my thumb. It could very well be that this is easier because it also pulls the knob closer to me, but that this doesn't work when I try to open it because my grip then isn't strong enough without pulling the knob towards me, which isn't possible when I'm trying to re-open the valve. Will give this (and more focus on my trim) a try next time, including trying to have a buddy tape it up close. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom