Suggestions needed: Olympus OM-D with 12-50mm or Panasonic Leica 45mm Macro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkHerm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
I plan to upgrade my underwater photography kit from a Panasonic LX3 to an OM-D setup (Nauticam housing). I pretty much decided on the Panaonic 8mm Fisheye with the Nauticam dome but I am unsure what to buy additionally.
I see two different options at the moment which are about the same price range
1) I could buy the Panasonic/Leica 45mm Macro lens with a standard flat port or
2) I could get the port and zoom gear for the Olympus 12-50mm which I got anyways.

Both options cost almost the same as the port and gear for the 12-50mm is quite expensive. Option 1) would probably give better (closer) macro shots while option 2) seems to be more versatile as a i-don't-know-what-I-am-going-to-see lens with some macro capabilities (an additional diopter could be added later on though).

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

If you chose the 12-50 it will not be as good as a macro lens on the 50 end and it will not be as good as a wide angle lens on the 12mm end. What it will do as you said is give a range like a compact camera that will cover many subjects. The idea of going with an interchangeable lens camera is to interchange the lenses. If you are hard core macro I would go with the 45 macro or wait to see How much it will be to outfit with the Olympus 60 macro coming soon.

Phil Rudin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom