Suggestions for Underwater Photography Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've long thought about putting together an underwater photography class. A few weeks ago I started a dialogue with someone who wanted me to teach them one. Specifically, he liked the idea that I wanted to include some diving skills in the class. So lately I've been working on the syllabus, and starting to create the material for this class. I want to run it by some divers who are currently photographers and ask what you think.

Here's a list of topics ... this part would be a Power Point presentation and accompanying student handbook. Each bullet represents a talking point that may come with accompanying pictures, video, or other visual aids. There will also be some hands-on with equipment during this part of the class.

Diving Skills
• Buoyancy Control – the art of staying still
• Finning techniques – how to not silt out your subject

Photography Equipment
• Camera
• Lenses
• Housing
• Ports
• Strobes
• Focus Light
• Tray & strobe arms
• Maintenance

Camera Settings
• Auto, Program, and Priority modes
• Shooting in Manual mode
• ISO, Shutter Speed & Aperture

Lighting
• Light Loss
• Backscatter
• Flash vs Strobes
• Basics of Strobology

Basic Composition
• Rule of Thirds
• Color and Contrast
• Negative Space
• Angles and Perspectives
• Framing
• Zooming
• Common Errors
o Shooting Down
o Busy Scenes
o Light Traps

Shooting Macro
• Get Close, Now Get Closer
• Depth of Field
• Lenses and Diopters
• Shooting Beyond 1:1
• Lighting Considerations

Portraits & Fish Photography
• Lighting Considerations
• The Eyes Have It

Shooting Wide Angle
• Lens and Port Choices
• Benefits of Reducing the Water Column
• Working with Models
• Panoramas

Post Processing
• Tools – Lightroom vs Photoshop
• Cropping
• Basic Adjustments – Color, Contrast, Brightness & Levels
• Tricks for Removing Backscatter
• Storing your Images

Photographer’s Rules of Respect
• Respect the Environment
• Respect the Animals
• Respect your Fellow Divers

The class would include four dives, with a debrief and analysis after each dive.

Dive 1 – Diving Skills Workshop (no camera)
Dive 2 – Practicing Skills with Camera (toy subjects)
Dive 3 – Macro
Dive 4 – Wide Angles & Portraits

This class would be a workshop ... not a distinctive specialty ... which means it isn't an agency-promoted class, and doesn't come with a c-card.

Comments? Suggestions? Is this something you would take, or something you would have wanted to take when you were just getting into photography?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great list, BUT. Seems like a lot of topics. You may find that a total photo rookie will not be able to absorb all of the information.

You could shorten some segments by assuming (or mandating) prior photography experience and then just focus on the under water specific topics. You have a great list of underwater specific stuff, I would emphasize those topics before the general photography topics. Things like camera settings and post processing could be removed if needed to condense things.

You may also want to enlarge the diving skills section to Encompass the "rules of respect" and include some other topics
- dive buddy system with / as a photographer
- Respect the reef, there are some shots you can not get (I.e. don't jam your camera down in a sponge and damage it,...
- don't chase the fish, let them come to you
- monitoring your air & ndl
- don't beat the reef with your fins (veery common offense)
- travel, transportation, boat handling of your camera
- night dive photograpghy

Great idea. Good luck!

---------- Post added April 27th, 2014 at 12:45 PM ----------

P.s. an "underwater photography equipment" course would be something that I wished I could have found way back. So I claim I would take that type of course. By now there may be an online guide for this type of thing. Not sure how complete or unbiased it would be.

There is a "Rules of Respect" section in the syllabus, but I like your idea of including it following the diving skills section. I also like your idea of including the Diver's Buddy information ... I already have an article on that which I wrote some years ago ... NWGratefulDiver.com

I hadn't thought about including it in the class, but now that you mention it, I like the idea ...

Thanks!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would also suggest giving 'homework' of land photos as well. The best time to get to know the camera is when it's not wet. Wet is when you learn the housing and strobes and all the diving stuff, but if you can't really, REALLY operate the camera on land you certainly won't do better underwater.

Good class, probably way too much stuff for a single class but I would add a topic that you sort of incude but not expressly.

Fish behaviour. i.e. know your subject so you can find them and get the shot you want

I think if I were you I would focus more on the diving aspect than the photography aspect. i.e. how to apply basic photography skills to the underwater environment. Otherwise I think you may have too much for a beginner to absorb.

Is the exposure triangle included in one of the sections you listed, as that is a pretty basic concept to apply (if I increase aperture, what affect will it have- DOF changes, etc.)

edit: I assume the iso, shutter speed, aperture is where that comes in. I think that should be the first thing taught.

There is a "Rules of Respect" section in the syllabus, but I like your idea of including it following the diving skills section. I also like your idea of including the Diver's Buddy information ... I already have an article on that which I wrote some years ago ... NWGratefulDiver.com

I hadn't thought about including it in the class, but now that you mention it, I like the idea ...

Thanks!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think the "respect" concept is one of the most important topics (right up there with dive skills). Photo skills come last. We all have heard stories and seen first hand accounts of the "ugly photographer". For some reason, grabbing hold of an underwater camera turns some people stupid. It is all about attitude. And some people are oblivious to their actions. Maybe making the topic part of the course will make them more aware of the potential for unacceptable dive behaviour.

Placing it at the start of the course would emphasize its importance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom