Suggestions for Tortola?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Boardies!
I will be on a NCL cruise with some friends in Feb and we will be stopping in Tortola. I have heard that the diving is not to be missed and I have a friend with me that is also certified. I HATE diving with the cruise ship because it is almost always packed. So I look to my board friends for suggestions.

1. Anyone know of any reputable dive operators in Tortola that have worked with cruise ship passengers before? I become somewhat paranoid of missing the ship at times.
2. Any suggestions of possible dive sites that I should request? I have heard good things about the RMS Rhone.

3. Any thoughts from people who have been there before? I don't dive as often as I like but try to get wet 5-6 times per year. So far Saba and Curacao are at the top of my list. Has anyone been to 2 out of the 3 or all 3 and can give me a comparison?

4. Last but not least, we will also be stopping in St Thomas and Dominica. Because we are a group, my friend and I only set aside one port to spend underwater so we can spend the other two ports with our friends. Should I scratch Tortola and possibly look at doing one of the other two ports?

Thanks so much,
EA

2. Any suggestions of possible dive sites that I should request? I have heard good things about the RMS Rhone.

Thanks so much,
EA

Hi, I have been to Tortola twice by bareboat, but before I was a scuba diver. I've pretty much snorkeled all over the island, which I know is different, but it may help.

I have snorkeled the RMS Rhone - it was a fabulous wreck.

If I remember correctly, the cruise ships will pull into to Road Town. There is quite a bit to see and do in this area. There is a great shop - Sunny Carribee - they sell spices and island stuff. If anyone in your party does the land-tour, I strongly suggest looking this shop up for some great flavors of the Carib.

I really enjoyed the snorkeling at Smugglers Cove. On the North side of the island is Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay. Both had decent snorkeling also.

Well, I know my snorkeling tales don't help you when making diving choices, but this link may help...

http://www.scubabvi.com/html/cruiseships.html

Safe diving and please report back where you dove. I would love to go back to the BVIs.

I think the cruise ships all have a tie in with Sail Caribbean Divers, who are (in my view) one of the two best ops in the BVI. The "standard" dive for cruise ship passengers is a two tank dive on the RMS Rhone, because it is just a quick run across the Sir Francis Drake channel. It is a really nice dive, but it also happens to be pretty close to the cruise ship dock, which is convenient.

I dove the Rhone while dive mastering from St John back in 1980. Wrecks don't thrill me as much as vibrant reef and the trip was a haul from USVI. I don't remember being too impressed with a buch of old broken up metal on the bottom.

The last several years I have been bare boating in BVI and haven't dived since it provides a conflict with my mates. We do snorkle every day and have seen everything imaginable most any spot is good. BVI divers seem like a good outfit.

Exploring on Tortolla is pretty fun but Saba and Statia are great for the topside attractions.

My wife and I had a great experience with Dive Tortola (www.divetortola.com). We honeymooned there in October of 2007 and the boat always went out even when there were only 3 of us on board. At one point, we swung by a sailboat moored off of one of the islands to pick up a few other divers. They are very accommodating, so you might want to contact them in advance.

The Rhone is a nice wreck with an easy swim through on the bow half. The stern is mostly flat, but there is a swim through at the prop. If you go, don't forget to rub the lucky porthole. There is also lots of life at both sites (big fish in the bow, turtles near the stern).

If you end up in Road Town, try the Johnny Cakes, they're delicious.

Regardless of where or whether you dive, have a great time.

Just dove the Rhone. I was impressed. It has such a unique history. Fortunately Tortolla is vigilant about lion fish extermination. The marine life is plentiful and the wreck allows for safe penetration. Excellent for video/photo or just enjoying a relaxing dive.

Back
Top Bottom