Suggestions for Tiger Beach plus other diving in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 50th birthday is coming up, and since the pandemic has really screwed up any real planning for anything, I'm thinking of heading down to Grand Bahama in early to mid June to dive with the tiger sharks and whatever else is good there. I'm not too keen on the idea of a liveaboard, partly because a whole week is longer than I'm planning. Any suggestions? Most dive shops don't seem to dive Tiger Beach in June, but Neal Watson's on Bimini does. I had a great experience with them in Nov. 2019 with the great hammerheads.

Thanks.

I'm in Freeport, Bahamas, now and I would not recommend diving here in Grand Bahama. The dive sites are in poor condition, i.e., coral bleaching, red algae cover, very few fish, and remnant damage from Hurricane Dorian. I've been mostly blown out by wind, but the 5 sites I did dive, only one was worth noting. The couple of dive ops that are still open are less than motivated for your business.

Tourism has not returned and there are no topside activities except visiting beaches.

Epic Diving is another dive op that goes to Tiger Beach, but the season ends in April. I did some research on doing the trip before I got here and it didn't work out. Maybe some of the others that have posted about their trips have better info about best times to go, but I've been told that October to April is best, with April being windy and likely to cancel. The wind here now has cancelled most diving in March and April.

I'm in Freeport, Bahamas, now and I would not recommend diving here in Grand Bahama. The dive sites are in poor condition, i.e., coral bleaching, red algae cover, very few fish, and remnant damage from Hurricane Dorian. I've been mostly blown out by wind, but the 5 sites I did dive, only one was worth noting. The couple of dive ops that are still open are less than motivated for your business.

Tourism has not returned and there are no topside activities except visiting beaches.

Epic Diving is another dive op that goes to Tiger Beach, but the season ends in April. I did some research on doing the trip before I got here and it didn't work out. Maybe some of the others that have posted about their trips have better info about best times to go, but I've been told that October to April is best, with April being windy and likely to cancel. The wind here now has cancelled most diving in March and April.
Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing. Interesting about Tiger Beach season. I've seen shops' schedules all over the place with that, to the point of all year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom