Suggestions for next May 1- 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwbobber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are planning a combined trip with family, some divers and some not for this time period. We would like to dive, others would like to experience the culture, and enjoy the beaches. Some interest in fishing. My wife gets giddy when you mention whale sharks. We have not decided an a particular location.
Any suggestions?

You might look at splitting time Between Ambergris Caye with spur and groove reef formations it makes for great diving, you also have the marine park Hol Chan, Then i would go down to the Dangrega area and check out the wall diving there. Thatch Caye is a good location as they are near the reef and only 1 hour away from the whale shark area. The guys at Thatch Caye took me to a special dive site called "Black Hole" / "Devils Pit" similar to the Blue hole but you do not have to go as deep.
This way you get to see different areas of Belize, the trip between Ambergris Caye is less than 1 hr.

What Stephen said.
If you're interested in fishing call this guy., Roberto Bradley, 226 2116, He's a really knowledgeable and friendly guy. I went with him for two days, one in the back of Ambergris and got 7 bonefish., The next day we fished in the cut off the north of Caye Caulker and got nice size snapper, jacks, one grouper and one shark.

Come around the full moon in May to see the whale sharks. We do whale shark trips from here at Thatch Caye during the full moons of March, April, and May. That is when the snappers are spawning and the whale sharks predictably come to filter feed in a particular spot that the snappers go to called Gladden's Spit. We are about an hour boat ride from there and do the ride right down the inside of the reef the whole way so it isn't that bumpy like it is coming from Placencia. As Steve suggests in a previous note, do some diving in San Pedro and then head south so you get the full experience that Belize has to offer.

Thatch Caye does inland tours to Mayan ruins, waterfalls, cave tubing, Garifuna and Maya dances, herbal/medicine trails, butterfly farms, etc. and has excellent snorkeling spots all up and down the reef nearby for non divers as well.

I have a couple pictures from my May 2008 Whale Shark trip posted on this site. It was late May when I went. What an awesome experience. I've been diving for 25+ years and that is definitely a highlight! I actually took the trip as part of a charter offered by Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge. As part of the package, we overnighted at Southwater Caye Resort -which is very nice.

I did the whale sharks out of Thatch Caye last season and was not disappointed with the diving or the place.......

If you're looking to enjoy some culture as well as a choice of beachside restaurants in a laid back beach community. I recommend Placencia. It's not as crowded as Ambergis Caye. It's at the end of a peninsula on the mainland in southern Belize. From there you can easily take trips to Mayan ruins, to the Jaguar Reserve for natural history tours, bird watching, river tubing and lots more. There's 20 miles of beautiful beach to hang out on and walk along. Since it is historically a fishing village, there are some of the best fishing guides in Belize here that come from generations of fishermen. The idea is to find a dive operation with a large boat that can give you a comfortable ride out to the cayes for snorkeling, reef diving or whale shark diving. There are a few of those. Seahorse dive shop has recently got a larger boat. Robert's Grove also has a larger boat. We, at Avadon Divers, have a 46-ft Newton Dive Special which makes for a very comfortable ride in most conditions. Please contact us through our website: Avadon Divers - Placencia, Belize, Welcome I'd be happy to help you with any further information. Contact Katie at: info@belize-trips.com for accommodations. She has a huge network of resources for that and is a wealth of info on Belize as well.
Good Luck
Anne-Marie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom