Suggestions for day trip in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I have some 10 hours to spend in Phuket before my LOB sails, so am thinking about doing 2 checkout dives around Phuket.

Any suggestion for a dive operator? How much would 2 dives cost (got my own gear), and would there be boats that can take me out for 2 dives between 1PM and 5PM? Do all the boats leave at 8AM for day trips?

I'm hoping for nice, shallow dives (little or no currents, please!) so I can check out my gear and test my new UW housing. If the sites have things to see, it'll be a nice bonus :)

Thailand diving gurus, some words of wisdom please!

All the dive boats leave between 8.00 and 10.00 AM, so that's no option for you. But there's also shorediving done.

Here in Kata we offer shorediving every day, so no problem at all. And it is actually a nice site, with crocodile fish, puffers, scorpionfish, crabs, shrimp, lionfish, etc. And: maximum 12 meters deep and no current, so ideal to try out new stuff.

1 dive normally costs 900 Baht provided we have a minimum of 2 divers, so if there's only you, we can always work out something.

Just check out our site: www.sea-bees-kata.com

Regards,
Steven

My suggestion is dive with the company you are doing your liveaboard with. (LOB, right?)

This way, you won't be late for the boat.

I did a liveaboard with West Coast Divers last year and I arranged a day trip with them. I still had plenty of time. They got me back in time to even sit down near their shop and bought a bowl of noodles.

Or, you can let the dive operator know that you plan on doing a day trip the same day. They will be able to advise you better. My first liveaboard, I assumed that they left from the same place but they don't. You have to drive about an hour and a half to a different harbor from Phuket.

As far as a check out dive, try Racha Yai. All of the dive boats go there because it's shallow and safe. A lot of staghorn coral.

Any hoo, let us know how your LOB went.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom