Suggestions for a small, light, and cheap light duty backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree on the Intovas, Great lights and they make on that runs on AAA batteries instead of the CR123 which are expensive and hard to come by in some places.

the way around expensive CR 123's is CR123A Batteries 3V Photo Lithium Batteries CR123 DL123A CR123A K123A EL123A VL123 SF123A CR17345 23-155 2 PL123A 123A lithium photo batteries flashlight battery 3v CR123A Battery 123A Battery L123A K123A EL123A VL123 SF123A CR17345 23-155 2 PL123A 1 they are about a buck each.

Thanks again for the ideas, everyone.

I think I found a light that meets my needs. It's a tiny single-AAA powered model that looks great for a tropical travel backup.

Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express
Scroll down to the $20 "Aquatec LED-1700."

I'll follow up with impressions when I get it, and if it sucks, I have time to pick a replacement from your suggestions. :)

Hey Matt,

Have you tried it out yet, I'm thinking of getting one too.

Thanks

Doug

I've received it, but not yet dived with it. Assuming it doesn't flood, it should be an adequate "let me see my instruments and get out of here" backup light for clear water.

To turn it on you twist the tail cap, which is not my favorite mechanism, but with the size being what it is there are going to be some compromises.

I use the UK SL4 eLED for my back up. Good light and never had a problem with it.

Last edited:
I actually have the SL4 eLED, it's just far too big and heavy for my travel needs. It's a good light though.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm thinking about getting the Aquatec LED-1700 to brighten up night dives and as a compact backup for open water recreational diving. How do you like it? Is it worth buying?

I still haven't actually used it on a night dive. Based on how the beam looks on land, I'd say it will meet my needs as an emergency backup light... it's bright enough to read gauges. It's probably not bright enough to effectively signal anyone who isn't already looking in your direction. It's also probably not any good for looking at critters though it would at least show you the lay of the land... So, I think it meets my needs as the smallest possible backup light but I'd say it's not good for much else. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom