Suggesting on mounting a focus/spotting light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use an Olympus 5060 with the Oly PT-020 housing. I recently purchased a Sea & Sea YS-90auto strobe and the S&S Sea Arm Light.

Everythig work fine during the day; however, at night I have problems juggling a light and the camera setting to take pictures. I have to "drop" the light in oder to set the strobs angle, now I don't have any light in front me to point the strob accurately. Likewise, I could/should realy use 2 hands to take the picture (small hands and the P-020 is somewhat bulky), in this case there is no/not enough light for the camera to focus so it take a while to snap the picture an many times it is blurred.

The other night I used 2 zip ties to strap a small flash light to the strobe, but that did not work because the lght still moved significantly before it completely came out.

What do others do to resolve this issue with the set up I have or a similar set-up.

Tonight or tomorrow night I plan to use a small flashlight attached to my mask strap, but I am not sure how that will work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim G

I've used Q-40's on the strobe before using rubber bands. I've also used a light canon with 2 diffusers mounted on the tray. The strobe flash is so much more powerful that the flashlight does not show in the final picture. If you have an issue you could use a diffuser on the flashlight. I've got enough to think about already, I don't think I'd go for manual control of the focus light.

Mark

I was planning to use a Q-40 on my face mask. I am concerned the rubber bands will not work. The other night 2 zip ties did not securely hold a different light (but the same size as a Q-40) in place.

How many rubber bands did it take to securely mount the Q-40 onto the strobe?

Thanks for the reply

I didn't get on well with the light on the mask strap. The torch illuminated a patch off to the side of my vision, and I found I was constantly moving my head to see what it was in the corner of my vision, which then of course moved the patch of light. Kind of like a dog chasing his tail.....

I ended up buying a small torch with a clip, and making an acrylic mount to hold it firmly on the strobe. This works pretty well.

I have a original sea & sea holder for the Q40 light that attaches around any strobe. Not sure if they make it any longer. It had a piece of hard plastic for the light and rubber with a clip.

Back
Top Bottom